The Eternal Quest

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: The Eternal Quest

Post by N64vSNES »

Ok kind of a major update I guess but I'm currently setting up a forum for The Eternal Quest And I'd love it if some of you guys joined.

Its mainly for the team to share information, code, new formatting, design ideas and all that.

However its also a programming and game programming forum for programmers either experianced or complete begginers. ;)

http://eternalquest.forum-phpbb.co.uk/index.htm
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

N64vSNES wrote:Ok kind of a major update I guess but I'm currently setting up a forum for The Eternal Quest And I'd love it if some of you guys joined.

Its mainly for the team to share information, code, new formatting, design ideas and all that.

However its also a programming and game programming forum for programmers either experianced or complete begginers. ;)

aamesxdavid has already made an excellent point on this subject. If and only if you can answer these questions will your site be successful.
aamesxdavid wrote:It sounds like you want a bunch of people to get some conversations going to have a community of game developers answer questions and help one another out. Isn't that what's already happening here? And on GameDev.net? Why do you want to create your own forums rather than just be a part of currently existing (and successful) ones? And why would people go to your site rather than one of those?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

dandymcgee wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:Ok kind of a major update I guess but I'm currently setting up a forum for The Eternal Quest And I'd love it if some of you guys joined.

aamesxdavid has already made an excellent point on this subject. If and only if you can answer these questions will your site be successful.
aamesxdavid wrote:It sounds like you want a bunch of people to get some conversations going to have a community of game developers answer questions and help one another out. Isn't that what's already happening here? And on GameDev.net? Why do you want to create your own forums rather than just be a part of currently existing (and successful) ones? And why would people go to your site rather than one of those?
Duh...... K
1) Yeah I guess.

2) As I said the site is mainly so our team can update eachother more easily, and if I'm not mistaken this forum was originaly for that purpose too, if I can put the effort into setting up the forums then having a comunnity to talk and help eachother out is a bonus.

3) Your choice. The forum is for the team mainly but if you like the project then we will most certinly post updates on there and for any new programmers or experianced programmers that have just run into a problem we would be glad to help.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

N64vSNES wrote:
aamesxdavid wrote: It sounds like you want a bunch of people to get some conversations going to have a community of game developers answer questions and help one another out. Isn't that what's already happening here? And on GameDev.net? Why do you want to create your own forums rather than just be a part of currently existing (and successful) ones? And why would people go to your site rather than one of those?
Duh...... K
1) Yeah I guess.

2) As I said the site is mainly so our team can update eachother more easily, and if I'm not mistaken this forum was originaly for that purpose too, if I can put the effort into setting up the forums then having a comunnity to talk and help eachother out is a bonus.

3) Your choice. The forum is for the team mainly but if you like the project then we will most certinly post updates on there and for any new programmers or experianced programmers that have just run into a problem we would be glad to help.
Well, if you go into it with that intent then you've got a pretty good attitude about it. Then how you feel about it isn't directly tied to whether or not you get a bunch of users.

Be clear and consistent with what you're looking for though. People will listen to you most closely when you're clear with them about your intentions.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

EccentricDuck wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:
aamesxdavid wrote: It sounds like you want a bunch of people to get some conversations going to have a community of game developers answer questions and help one another out. Isn't that what's already happening here? And on GameDev.net? Why do you want to create your own forums rather than just be a part of currently existing (and successful) ones? And why would people go to your site rather than one of those?
Duh...... K
1) Yeah I guess.

Well, if you go into it with that intent then you've got a pretty good attitude about it. Then how you feel about it isn't directly tied to whether or not you get a bunch of users.

Be clear and consistent with what you're looking for though. People will listen to you most closely when you're clear with them about your intentions.
Thanks for the advice.

To be honest though I'm not after loads of users I've made this post because maybe it will become a good community but mainly I'd like to help people new to programming maybe this forum will be usefull to them.

Being clear about my intentions "I've set this up purely in hope it would benefit others aswell as our team" :)
JGorard159
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Azareal Online: MMO
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Virtual Boy. LOL WUT!?
Programming Language of Choice: Javascript

Post by JGorard159 »

Agreed. The Eternal Quest looks awesome as a game, and I look forward to seeing updates, but you should probably take more care over what you're actually saying, and not being ambiguous. As you can see, people often get the wrong impression :roll:
Savannah Cart of Ollege and Design

Current Project: Azareal Online. Visit us at: http://azareal-online.comuv.com
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

JGorard159 wrote:Agreed. The Eternal Quest looks awesome as a game, and I look forward to seeing updates, but you should probably take more care over what you're actually saying, and not being ambiguous. As you can see, people often get the wrong impression :roll:
Yeah I understand.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

N64vSNES wrote: Thanks for the advice.

To be honest though I'm not after loads of users I've made this post because maybe it will become a good community but mainly I'd like to help people new to programming maybe this forum will be usefull to them.

Being clear about my intentions "I've set this up purely in hope it would benefit others aswell as our team" :)
To be honest I'm impressed you took that the way you did. I think setting up some form of communication for your team as well as spectators/contributors is an excellent idea. You seem to have a purpose and know your intended audience which the questions I presented to you. Helping out those new to programming is also a great aspiration.

I'll remember to take a look at your forums when I get the chance.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

dandymcgee wrote:
N64vSNES wrote: Thanks for the advice.

To be honest I'm impressed you took that the way you did. I think setting up some form of communication for your team as well as spectators/contributors is an excellent idea. You seem to have a purpose and know your intended audience which the questions I presented to you. Helping out those new to programming is also a great aspiration.

I'll remember to take a look at your forums when I get the chance.
Thanks I really appreciate these posts I think they motivate me and our entire team.

We have huge plans for this game and we hope to announce these things and post a lot more updates on the forums assuming we do actully get some followers on there, but I shouild probably mention that we are not full of shit and we arn't going to say

"We're plannning on doing this, this, and this"
It will be more like
"We've finished this, this and this"
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Nice to see we have a few members from this forums and also from the moosader forums.
Also we have found another artist so we should be posting more on our forums about the game and less about the the software for the game now. ;)
JGorard159
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Azareal Online: MMO
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Virtual Boy. LOL WUT!?
Programming Language of Choice: Javascript

Post by JGorard159 »

N64vSNES wrote:Nice to see we have a few members from this forums and also from the moosader forums.
Also we have found another artist so we should be posting more on our forums about the game and less about the the software for the game now. ;)
Great! It's always nice to have a balance between technology and design. No one wants to see a huge string of disconnected tech-demos, though nor do they want to see pages and pages of abstract concepts. I look forward to it!
Savannah Cart of Ollege and Design

Current Project: Azareal Online. Visit us at: http://azareal-online.comuv.com
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

JGorard159 wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:Nice to see we have a few members from this forums and also from the moosader forums.
Great! It's always nice to have a balance between technology and design. No one wants to see a huge string of disconnected tech-demos, though nor do they want to see pages and pages of abstract concepts. I look forward to it!
Thanks for the post.

Development on the "game" itself has been slow, but this is mostly because we are still lacking artists however this just gives us programmers time to fix up any little bugs optimize etc.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Thought I'd post some screenshots since our artists have been working, I haven't uploaded any screenshots lately.

Nothing of the starting area yet because we are waiting on artists mainly but until then here are some priviews

Thats original art above^ ( except for mario )

^ New menus

BTW: Sorry about them being 800x600 I didn't want it to looked too pixelated
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

MY POTION! and is that my grass? Me/aams really need to do those stones...
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by WSPSNIPER »

eatcomics wrote:MY POTION! and is that my grass? Me/aams really need to do those stones...
must be cool to see your art in the game :D