Why is it so hard to find Artists?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Why is it so hard to find Artists?

Post by mattheweston »

Why is it so hard to find good artists that aren't working on ES? =)
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Why is it so hard to find Artists?

Post by Arce »

If I knew the answer...

We'd have more artists working for ES.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

Maybe one day your website will develop into a community bringing coders and artists together in a blissful, harmonic utopia thus enabling the creation of great games.
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: BeatTapper
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by TheAustech »

mattheweston wrote:Maybe one day your website will develop into a community bringing coders and artists together in a blissful, harmonic utopia thus enabling the creation of great games.
[sarcasm]Pfft, that chance. What are the odds of Elysian Shadows building a community. And even if they did, who would join it? Not me, nope, no siree. Uh uh. Nope.[/sarcasm]
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by pritam »

If you present your project and introduce it to one or a few artists in a good manner in such a way you'd write a newspaper article (title and short introduction sparking interest in the reader) and perhaps share them a demo on how far you've gotten (especially if it is at the state where art really is needed) you should get good response from sincere artists. This is something ES needs to work on, Falco has mentioned getting a new front page that is up to date, not only to get artists interested but to be able to showcase the project to anyone.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

mattheweston wrote:Maybe one day your website will develop into a community bringing coders and artists together in a blissful, harmonic utopia thus enabling the creation of great games.
Jesus Christ, I certainly hope so.
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: BeatTapper
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by TheAustech »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Jesus Christ, I certainly hope so.
You forgot your sarcasm tags dude

Edit:

Oh shit I forgot mine.
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

Um... i did right up a new front page once. It was up to date as of AiGD 16... (never heard of ESRev yet). But yes, depending on who your going to for the art, you may need diffrent aproaches.
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

thbp wrote:Um... i did right up a new front page once. It was up to date as of AiGD 16... (never heard of ESRev yet). But yes, depending on who your going to for the art, you may need diffrent aproaches.
Ehhhh what? :|
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

mattheweston wrote:Why is it so hard to find good artists that aren't working on ES? =)
I just think artists don't tend to hang around the game dev communities as much as coders do. You might have more luck at TIGsource, or at an actual spriter's community.
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)

Post by xiphirx »

Moosader wrote:
mattheweston wrote:Why is it so hard to find good artists that aren't working on ES? =)
I just think artists don't tend to hang around the game dev communities as much as coders do. You might have more luck at TIGsource, or at an actual spriter's community.
one of which is wayofthepixel.net
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Post by Van-B »

I think a lot of the problem stems from artists wanting to do their own game designs, they tend to become decent by practising - not something that tends to happen through working on an actual project. They just don't fit into the standard development team very easily, and I can understand why. Ideally, people would write the whole game using coder graphics, templates, then get the artist(s) to 'tighten up the visuals', which is very unlikely. Game designs change and adapt during development, which can often mean re-doing graphics or scrapping them completely - this must be insanely frustrating for artists.

I remember making a remake/inspiration of Jetpac (classic ZX Spectrum game) for a competition, I was in charge of code, level design and sound, and was working with an artist. So at crunch time I'm working like a slave, fixing bugs and level designs, worked through the night to get it done in time. Then this artist chewed me out because I never included one of his enemies!. If your gonna have a full time development team artist, then you need a buffer between the coder and artist, even if it's just someone to act as a go-between, someone diplomatic, who is not afraid to tell someone their work good enough, or not being used, or awesome. It works both ways of course, an artist will complain about a pixel being out of place - listen to them and appreciate that eye for detail, because it all adds up to a much more professional looking product.

These days I try to do my own visuals, but I have access to a freelance artist who has insane skill, and is used to working with coder graphics - my last game for Intel AppUp is so damn pretty, he's a total pro. One irritant is always getting an artist to use in-house tools, like a layout editor. That's the real sign of a pro I think - willingness to put in the effort, and make the graphics work to their best for the game even if it means more work.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

I guess pixel art is just one of those skills that are hard to come by :(

I think the secret of where all these artists are hiding lies deep within the creators of Chrono Trigger :evil: