Advance Wars Duel Strike

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Advance Wars Duel Strike

Post by Marx Chaotix »

A while back through boredom I've decided to rummage through all of my old DS games when I stumbled upon a long forgetten game that I still had yet to beat. "Advance Wars Duel Strike". So I decided to pop the game in and give it another go. I eventually got so caught up in it that I finally beat it after all this time. :lol:

Storyline: 3/10
-----------------------

I never really payed much attention to the story nor' really cared for it. I merely wanted it as a portable replacement of Starcraft for whenever I'm on the go. All that I can remember is it's about a buncha' different nations are trying to team up against an evil nation called "Black Hole" and they had really strange names like "Orange Star", "Blue Moon", or "Black Hole". Nothing special and really it shouldn't matter at all there's other things in this game that you're paying attention to like "GAMEPLAY".

Music: 7/10
------------------

I usually never pay much attention to any DS game's music because really to be honest few of their music is very interesting nor fitting for this game.

Graphics: 8.5
-----------------------

Although this game is lacking the audio and storyline department I feel it makes up a great deal with the visuals. It precisely does it's role as a TBS (turn based strategy) by providing reasonable graphics and a clear aerial view of all of your units and structures as you initiate warfare against the comp. or another player. And you can clearly distinguish a unit and recognize what it is.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
--------------------------

I must say that this is by far the one and only TBS series that I consider worth playing for anyone who has half a brain. The game gives you a vast array of units to choose from whether they be infantry, naval, aerial, or armored units. It has a custom map design, you can choose a military commander to choose from (each has his or her own special abilities), and you can play mult. mode by simply taking turns on a single ds (which I actually really enjoy whenever playing against my friends, and you can also just comp. stomp whenever you're bored. The game play is the sole reason for getting this game.

Overall 9/10
---------------

This game is definately worth getting. Advance Wars is the only TBS that I've really enjoyed ever playing and it has very high replay value (with the custom maps and whatnot)
Get this game! I also felt this game fulfilled it's duty as a temporal replacement for Starcraft (when I didn't have a laptop or comp around lol) it really is a fun game
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Advance Wars Duel Strike

Post by eatcomics »

yep yep yep. Well I played one for GBA it was pretty good, and I assume the darker feel of the DS one makes it that much better xD
TheFinalFanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by TheFinalFanatic »

Never actually played Dual Strike, but I'd imagine it's similar to the GBA games. Agree on the story part, the GBA games had very cliche storylines. Simple yet brilliant gameplay :D
eatcomics wrote:yep yep yep. Well I played one for GBA it was pretty good, and I assume the darker feel of the DS one makes it that much better xD
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (Dark Conflict here in the UK) was indeed very, very good, and might I add, had a kickass soundtrack.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

TheFinalFanatic wrote:Never actually played Dual Strike, but I'd imagine it's similar to the GBA games. Agree on the story part, the GBA games had very cliche storylines. Simple yet brilliant gameplay :D
eatcomics wrote:yep yep yep. Well I played one for GBA it was pretty good, and I assume the darker feel of the DS one makes it that much better xD
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (Dark Conflict here in the UK) was indeed very, very good, and might I add, had a kickass soundtrack.
aw shit, wrong one xD Oh well I kinda knew what I was talking about
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I've never played Days Of Ruin but from what I've heard the campaign is better however, Duel Strike had more units and better mult. mode. I dunno but I'm hoping to get days of ruin eventually.