procrastination makes school go by fast!

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

procrastination makes school go by fast!

Post by WSPSNIPER »

ok i've come up with a small theory that i have been trying to prove to my self for a while now. it is that procrastination makes school go buy fast. here is how i see it, if you are worried about a project that is due in a week and in the back of your mind you think you are running out of time that week goes by fast, even on a day by day basis just imagine you have homework due 7th period and you have to do a small amount of work on it each period and before you know it you are in 7th period... well it must work because school is going buy fast now and it dosent hurt my grades :D lol

if you cant pull it off don't try it!! even though i procrastinate i ALWAYS get it done on time!!
Last edited by WSPSNIPER on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Re: procrastination makes school go buy fast!

Post by cypher1554R »

you mean "procrastination makes school go by fast"? :)

Even if it's true, I think it's a bad idea to do so.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: procrastination makes school go buy fast!

Post by Arce »

I'm the person who has lived his ENTIRE SCHOOL LIFE doing exactly that. Anything will "go by fast" when there is something eating the back of your mind and you feel like you're "running out of time." What I don't understand...Is why you feel this is a good thing? Or, atleast, why does this fact enthrall you?

To be completely honest...Anytime you would have asked me, I would gladly have told you how well that life-style worked for me, how I always managed to get things done just in the brink of time, and how I actually felt some pride over that fact.

Now?

I would caution you to be careful. If you live life always feeling like you are "running out of time" you will quickly learn what "unhealthy" is. You will find that, though the starcraft game you played before studying for your test was entertaining...The quality of fun has been vastly diminished. Literally, you will find that you live life working from one binge to the other, proud of that fact, and having great fun in between. The problem? When you finally sit down and take a breath to "unwind," that mentality of "running out of time" will still stick. When the day arises that you actually set then pursue your own ambitions, you will quickly find how detrimental this mentality can be.

While yes, you can quickly "change" this habit, change your routine, or simply change "just because" (it is just a question of willpower, isn't it?)...What happens when you no longer have the will to do so, simply because your breaks aren't as gratifying, your binges are increasingly interfering with what you feel is "important," and you find yourself always unhappy over "how little time" you have?

One thing I would advise before seriously allowing yourself to live like this...Consider that at the end of the day, you only have yourself to answer to, and your own mental victories to feel good about...So why allow your brain to develop in an manner that brings high stress, low-payoff, and most importantly, will endow you with a -permanent- feel of "I am running out of time?"

When the day arises that the only deadlines you have are one's you've set for yourself, wouldn't you say that a life-time of procrastination is a poor way to prepare?
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: procrastination makes school go by fast!

Post by WSPSNIPER »

Arce wrote:I'm the person who has lived his ENTIRE SCHOOL LIFE doing exactly that. Anything will "go by fast" when there is something eating the back of your mind and you feel like you're "running out of time." What I don't understand...Is why you feel this is a good thing? Or, atleast, why does this fact enthrall you?

To be completely honest...Anytime you would have asked me, I would gladly have told you how well that life-style worked for me, how I always managed to get things done just in the brink of time, and how I actually felt some pride over that fact.

Now?

I would caution you to be careful. If you live life always feeling like you are "running out of time" you will quickly learn what "unhealthy" is. You will find that, though the starcraft game you played before studying for your test was entertaining...The quality of fun has been vastly diminished. Literally, you will find that you live life working from one binge to the other, proud of that fact, and having great fun in between. The problem? When you finally sit down and take a breath to "unwind," that mentality of "running out of time" will still stick. When the day arises that you actually set then pursue your own ambitions, you will quickly find how detrimental this mentality can be.

While yes, you can quickly "change" this habit, change your routine, or simply change "just because" (it is just a question of willpower, isn't it?)...What happens when you no longer have the will to do so, simply because your breaks aren't as gratifying, your binges are increasingly interfering with what you feel is "important," and you find yourself always unhappy over "how little time" you have?

One thing I would advise before seriously allowing yourself to live like this...Consider that at the end of the day, you only have yourself to answer to, and your own mental victories to feel good about...So why allow your brain to develop in an manner that brings high stress, low-payoff, and most importantly, will endow you with a -permanent- feel of "I am running out of time?"

When the day arises that the only deadlines you have are one's you've set for yourself, wouldn't you say that a life-time of procrastination is a poor way to prepare?

ya, i dont exactly think this is a good thing but i do tend to do it and have realized that it makes school go by fast... i may have over exaggerated a bit but i just wanted to start a discussion on it to hear others thoughts :P.
Arce

Post by Arce »

How old are you, and what is your educational level?

(It's hard to discuss a living style without knowing where in life you're referring to...)
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by WSPSNIPER »

im 16 in 11th grade
Arce

Post by Arce »

Well. It's worked for me my entire life. I'm now in college as a freshman taking:

1) Some gay required freshman course
2) Linear Algebra
3) Calculus 3
4) CS 221
5) Chemistry 123 lab
6) Chem 2

And, for the first time in my life, I'm wondering if I can get the "easy A's" with this schedule, doing my usual: Absolutely nothing.

I'll let ya know how procrastination works out.

Just as soon as I finish this starcraft game, brew more coffee, and learn me come Calculus before the test! XD

Also, note that most my classes are Sophomore/Junior level. This is due to AP credit + summer courses. Chances are your 1st college semester won't even be this bad. If that's the case, you'll do just as well in college as you have your entire life.

I only express my disdain because I happen to know how my school strategy used to intertwine with my devving...And I hated it with every ounce of my being. I love devving, and fucking hate school. I cannot use a strat for something I love that I'd do for something I hate...;p

Regardless...Good luck.
Last edited by Arce on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Also, what's your targeted GPA, and schedule like? Also, what major? I cannot claim that what works for me will do the same for others. I've always, always waited until the last possible minute to anything, still been late...And maintained my UW 4.0

And you know what? It's not worth the coffee and stress. =)
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by WSPSNIPER »

Arce wrote:Well. It's worked for me my entire life. I'm now in college as a freshman taking:

1) Some gay required freshman course
2) Linear Algebra
3) Calculus 3
4) CS 221
5) Chemistry 123 lab
6) Chem 2

And, for the first time in my life, I'm wondering if I can get the "easy A's" with this schedule, doing my usual: Absolutely nothing.

I'll let ya know how procrastination works out.

Just as soon as I finish this starcraft game, brew more coffee, and learn me come Calculus before the test! XD

Also, note that most my classes are Sophomore/Junior level. This is due to AP credit + summer courses. Chances are your 1st college semester won't even be this bad. If that's the case, you'll do just as well in college as you have your entire life.

I only express my disdain because I happen to know how my school strategy used to intertwine with my devving...And I hated it with every ounce of my being. I love devving, and fucking hate school. I cannot use a strat for something I love that I'd do for something I hate...;p

Regardless...Good luck.
thanks, i take AP and summer/college courses as well so i may be fucked when i get to collage and the reason i put off homework is 100% to dev/program lol but i'm trying a new method to prevent this or break the habit so that when i get to college i can still get A's because i dont think it will be close to as easy.

the plan is i have to finish ALL of my homework before i go to bed and ALL the important homework before i program... idk how well that will work but i just did all my homework and i feel kind of relaxed :D but i have a gay act/sat prep class in a couple of hours so D:
Arce

Post by Arce »

Haha. If you really think you can do that...You'll do fine.

I think when you said "procrastination" at the head of this topic, you meant a little bit less so than myself...;p

I'm the type of person who will put an entire month research paper off until the night before...Start at 9:00 at night, stop to play starcraft, decide fuck it, sleep, get up at 4:00 am the next day, brew shitloads of coffee...And make a 100% out of sheer last-minute determination.

^ that is unhealthy. It doesn't sound like you've got any kind of system going even half like that...But it came to a point where I couldn't concentrate to study unless it was 4:00 in the morning the day of the test, and I had coffee.

Just trying to keep ya from becoming me! =)
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by WSPSNIPER »

Arce wrote:Haha. If you really think you can do that...You'll do fine.

I think when you said "procrastination" at the head of this topic, you meant a little bit less so than myself...;p

I'm the type of person who will put an entire month research paper off until the night before...Start at 9:00 at night, stop to play starcraft, decide fuck it, sleep, get up at 4:00 am the next day, brew shitloads of coffee...And make a 100% out of sheer last-minute determination.

^ that is unhealthy. It doesn't sound like you've got any kind of system going even half like that...But it came to a point where I couldn't concentrate to study unless it was 4:00 in the morning the day of the test, and I had coffee.

that sounds like me this year!! the years before this i dident do homework really because our school grades it on completion ( well most teachers ) so i fucked homework then i just aced the test and it was done but this year with pre calc and stuff i have homework up the ass and it gets corrected!! so i have been putting it off until the morning because i dident want to waste my time at night lol.

i really hope i can stick to my plan of bribing myself with programming to finish my homework before the day its due! if i do i think i will be much more relaxed and not hate school as much lol
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by WSPSNIPER »

Arce wrote:Also, what's your targeted GPA, and schedule like? Also, what major? I cannot claim that what works for me will do the same for others. I've always, always waited until the last possible minute to anything, still been late...And maintained my UW 4.0

And you know what? It's not worth the coffee and stress. =)
my targeted GPA is 4.0, it is now and i hope it will always be :D

i plan to major in computer science or something in that field.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Arce wrote:Haha. If you really think you can do that...You'll do fine.

I always do this with my end of the year science project. That thing stresses me the fuck out. I fucking hate it. This time I plan on doing something 1. On my own. Granted me and my partner did well, but I like having more control, plus we're both half assers so we didn't do as well as we could have. 2. I plan on doing something Programming related, so that should be motivation enough, I should be able to get all the writing done easy, and the actual program shouldn't take too much. and 3. I'm going to spend some time making my board look nice xD
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by rolland »

Arce wrote:I think when you said "procrastination" at the head of this topic, you meant a little bit less so than myself...;p

I did almost exactly that yesterday. And today I've decided to use the weekend to catch up on my homework (my teachers like to assign homework in month-blocks at a time) and to try to get started on breaking this routine, because it sucks.
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
Albionremain
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Albionremain »

Arce wrote:I think when you said "procrastination" at the head of this topic, you meant a little bit less so than myself...;p

How about you sum up my entire middle school, high school, and so far, college life. Ever since my freshman year in high school I've had decent to terrible insomnia. I hardly ever lay down, let alone sleep before 3-4 am. Because of this I tend to play mmos, RTSs or lurk hardcore... but can never seem to actually do anything worth while, lol.

I work very well under pressure, and why should I spend a week working on something when I can simply invest a few hours the night before it's due (or morning of haha) and still get top marks for my 'efforts'? The answer is easy, I don't.
"Oh, it works... just not the way anyone wants or expects it to."