Google Instant

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Google Instant

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Link - http://www.google.com/instant/#utm_camp ... ce=instant
Google wrote:Google Instant is a new search enhancement that shows results as you type. We are pushing the limits of our technology and infrastructure to help you get better search results, faster. Our key technical insight was that people type slowly, but read quickly, typically taking 300 milliseconds between keystrokes, but only 30 milliseconds (a tenth of the time!) to glance at another part of the page. This means that you can scan a results page while you type.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Google Instant

Post by Arce »

Yeah, it's pretty intense.

I read an article once in Linear Algebra class about how the google algorithm works. Pretty sick stuff! From what I recall, every single website has it's own DIMENSION in a google array. Yeah, you heard me...Everything has it's own dimension, so everything can be compared to everything else simply by accessing array indicies!

It's more complex than that I'm sure, but the basic idea is to take this 2.2 BILLION dimension array, create assloads of sub-arrays, do some intense linear algebra and relational mathematics...And tadaa! You gots you a google search. :P

There's literally a boolean sitting in each element comparing everything to everything else...1 for a relationship, 0 for none. Neural network++?

I'll see if I can't post an article link sometime. Atleast, I thought it was cool. ;p
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

I'd be really interested in seeing that. The side of their algorithm that I know is PageRank which is part of the back end process they use. It was what the Google co-founders were working on prior to founding the company. What it does is assign a rank based upon the number of links to a particular page. That rank is based upon the probability of landing on that page by randomly clicking. In practical terms, if site A creates a hyperlink to B, then B's PageRank will go up. If A had lots of hyperlinks to it, then B would experience an even higher PageRank from A hyperlinking to B than if A didn't have many links to it (intuitively it makes sense because if there's lots of links to A, people are more likely to go to A, and by extension all those people have a chance of going to B). That's how they pre-sort page popularity on the back-end and it's used to weight the relevance scores when you do a search.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Google Instant is a rather useless feature addition for me, since I type much faster than the page can load. It is a neat idea though.

And this is how PageRank works. http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Arce

Post by Arce »

dandymcgee wrote:Google Instant is a rather useless feature addition for me, since I type much faster than the page can load. It is a neat idea though.

And this is how PageRank works. http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html ;)
It's not geared towards "slow typists," though. Dismissing this awesome technology because "I type faster than it loads" is just silly. ;)

If you already know exactly what search query will find what you're looking for...then it's obviously something you've already googled, or you got lucky. Period.

You cannot pretend when you google things, you don't EVER need to "refine" your search. Scroll through some results, click a link or two, go "back," retype it...Maybe even click the "did you mean this" suggestion.

THAT is what this is geared toward. If you're only "half sure" of what you physically need to "search for" in order to find what you want, I can guarantee "google instant" will save you some real time.

You would not BELIEVE how much easier it is to cheat my way through my chemistry lab with "google instant" on my side. ;)
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Arce wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:Google Instant is a rather useless feature addition for me, since I type much faster than the page can load. It is a neat idea though.

It's not geared towards "slow typists," though. Dismissing this awesome technology because "I type faster than it loads" is just silly. ;)

If you already know exactly what search query will find what you're looking for...then it's obviously something you've already googled, or you got lucky. Period.

You cannot pretend when you google things, you don't EVER need to "refine" your search. Scroll through some results, click a link or two, go "back," retype it...Maybe even click the "did you mean this" suggestion.

THAT is what this is geared toward. If you're only "half sure" of what you physically need to "search for" in order to find what you want, I can guarantee "google instant" will save you some real time.

You would not BELIEVE how much easier it is to cheat my way through my chemistry lab with "google instant" on my side. ;)
Agreed, it's awesome :mrgreen:
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Ginto8 wrote:
Arce wrote:

Agreed, it's awesome :mrgreen:
8-)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Definitely a good post, thanks for sharing :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Arce wrote:You would not BELIEVE how much easier it is to cheat my way through my chemistry lab with "google instant" on my side. ;)
...But I'm not taking Chemistry.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

it is awesome, only I found out today all the browsers in my school are too old to run it >.> even in tech class....