Engine Mascots?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Trimmy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: A Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC ( Mac OS )
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Engine Mascots?

Post by Trimmy »

Some game/rendering engines have a sort of mascot, a model they use for testing game-play features or rendering techniques like Ogre's ogre head thing. I'm thinking of making one for my engine and was wondering if anyone else has a similar thing in their engine/framework. I think it would be quite useful and would give your engine a bit more of an Identity rather than just using generic models sourced from the internet.
My Programming Projects:http://www.youtube.com/user/TrimmyS
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Re: Engine Mascots?

Post by Van-B »

I've done something like that before, but the character was really more of a stand-in than a mascot - or I would have spent more time on him. It was a 3D RPG game and I wanted a real easy to use map editor so my younger brother and son could help design maps. So I made a little builder dude, with a yellow hard hat, dungarees - looked a bit like Bob the Builder. He was a test character, so jump distances and stuff like that could be checked, but also controlling him was a portal to the actual editor.
So you'd have this game being developed, with NPC's and players, but also these builder guys too, designing the maps as they go. Might be something I do again, that project died a death a long time ago. I guess the little builder dude was the mascot for the engine, but functional at the same time.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Homer Simpson was mine, kinda still is :lol: He was really just a little (*.md2) I found a while back on the web ;)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

If that's the case, our "mascots" in the ES engine have pretty much always been hot, naked women.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

Here is what http://www.sjbaker.org/wiki/index.php?t ... The_Teapot and Game Coding Complete, second edition has to say about the teapot, and why it is a good testing model:
"Aside from that, people have pointed out that it is a useful object to test with. It's instantly recognisable, it has complex topology, it self-shadows, there are hidden surface issues, it has both convex and concave surfaces - as well as 'saddle points'. It doesn't take much storage space - it's rumoured that some of the early pioneers of computer graphics could type in the teapot from memory.
(tbh, i have no idea what a 'saddle point' is)

I'm not saying you should use a teapot, but the points in the quote might be something to consider.
Image ImageImage Image
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

GyroVorbis wrote:If that's the case, our "mascots" in the ES engine have pretty much always been hot, naked women.
epic win :lol:
Trimmy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: A Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC ( Mac OS )

Post by Trimmy »

ismetteren wrote:Here is what http://www.sjbaker.org/wiki/index.php?t ... The_Teapot and Game Coding Complete, second edition has to say about the teapot, and why it is a good testing model:
"Aside from that, people have pointed out that it is a useful object to test with. It's instantly recognisable, it has complex topology, it self-shadows, there are hidden surface issues, it has both convex and concave surfaces - as well as 'saddle points'. It doesn't take much storage space - it's rumoured that some of the early pioneers of computer graphics could type in the teapot from memory.
(tbh, i have no idea what a 'saddle point' is)

I'm not saying you should use a teapot, but the points in the quote might be something to consider.
Hey thanks I do like the teapot model but I don't really want to use GLUT anymore. I can now make my own function using that data set but I also want to make my own model that is animated.
GyroVorbis wrote:If that's the case, our "mascots" in the ES engine have pretty much always been hot, naked women.
Haha! I think thats every straight mans mascot in life.
GroundUpEngine wrote:Homer Simpson was mine, kinda still is :lol: He was really just a little (*.md2) I found a while back on the web ;)
If your not going to make your own model, Homer's definitely a top pick. He's almost teapot shaped and is definitely recognizable.

I'm thinking of possibly making a robot character so it can have a simple shape.
My Programming Projects:http://www.youtube.com/user/TrimmyS
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Don't lie, you are using penisses and cunts, and anyone who thinks that is a lie should watch AiGD1 ;)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

K-Bal wrote:
Don't lie, you are using penisses and cunts, and anyone who thinks that is a lie should watch AiGD1 ;)
...I never look back beyond Chapter 12 in my Youtube career... even beyond Chapter 16 is painful...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

K-Bal wrote:
So true. :lol: What ever happened to DevCock?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

dandymcgee wrote:
K-Bal wrote:
...I grew up.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:
K-Bal wrote:
...I grew up.
Aw well, it seems to have been for the better.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I thought you guys knew... ES is all about selling out and becoming rich and famous these days?

...kidding.
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

GyroVorbis wrote:I thought you guys knew... ES is all about selling out and becoming rich and famous these days?

...kidding.
It's not? Then I've been saving thousands of dollars for nothing I suppose :cry:

On the topic of engine mascots, I must say they are rather entertaining, and a nice addition to any application.