What was your first game?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Re: What was your first game?

Post by programmerinprogress »

A Battleships clone I made in the console would be the first 'game' I made, I used some functions from Windows.h to colour the background text to make it look like you were searching the ocean.

I made that in probably early '07, WAY BACK!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
FoxyCorndog
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by FoxyCorndog »

Probably the first one that I have ever made is one that I have not yet finished. I got a little ahead of myself, and wanted to make a full fledged 2d RPG in java. (not online :cry: ) But I am still working on it. Here is a very old version of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zEeTi0HXMM

I have not made a video of the current version yet, but I probably will soon. It has progressed so much more than that video right there. The window is even 4 times as big. :mrgreen:

Anyway, aside from the old version, I have created a new minimap in the top left corner of the screen that shows where you are on the map, and shows all buildings, and major monuments in the game. I have also enabled wearing armor and weapons. The character sprites move. The animals move at random by there self. Basically no bugs, except with the minimap, which I just started making today. And thats about it. :D
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

A basic text based RPG in C
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

N64vSNES wrote:A basic text based RPG in C
Yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout!
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by rolland »

My first game was a text-based 2 player tic-tac-toe game written in c++. The biggest problem was finding someone to play it with. And then I lost. But it was a good experience.
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
Uncle-Ruckus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Uncle-Ruckus »

A very basic pong game and a text based rpg with functioning game loop which done nothing, part from make a few beeps from the pc speaker when a battle started and ended.
FoxyCorndog
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by FoxyCorndog »

rolland wrote:My first game was a text-based 2 player tic-tac-toe game written in c++. The biggest problem was finding someone to play it with. And then I lost. But it was a good experience.
That reminds me that my first completed game was a text based tic tac toe with two player, and computer with the smarted ai ever lol. (but beatable)
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

eatcomics wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:A basic text based RPG in C
Yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout!
Lol I made tons of text based games when I was learning to program I'm still pretty proud of them today :mrgreen:
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Good lord, I've written and abandoned ALOT of games over the years, but a Frogger clone written in Pascal is one of the first games I actually finished.

I wrote this in my 10th grade Computer Science class. The teacher was a little pissed because the other students were playing my game instead of programming, but he was also curious to see the source code. ;)
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs