What was your first game?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

ZOMBIE!!!
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

What was your first game?

Post by ZOMBIE!!! »

Hey guys, I was just wondering what your first game project was. Whether by yourself or with a friend. What language did you use, what resources did you use, when did you make it, and how did it play.

As far as my first game I made it was about 1 1/2 years ago. I was just beginning c++ and I was using Dark GDK. You had a character (basically a rectangle with a face) that started on the left side of the screen. There were two buildings on the right and a portal up above that was blocked off by some walls. What you had to do was press spacebar and your character would launch a puke projectile. If you shot the building with the puke it would disappear showing what was hidden behind it. A key. When you hit the key, the walls surrounding the portal disappeared and you could go into the portal. The end.

Your turn!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: What was your first game?

Post by eatcomics »

A text game in a basic spinoff called liberty basic. That language was... kinda cool it was very limited though...
Scoody
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Scoody »

I coded tetris in C++Builder in december 2004. Didn't have any tutorials or anything, just poked around until I found what I needed; lots of digging in help files. The game worked without any problems too. Didn't have any menu though, so it was straight into game mode ...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Dead Gem: NYC (rearranged letters of my nick). Only had 2 or 3 completed levels, and was like chip's challenge.
Codename "vondido" I zipped up all the versions long ago and they've remained where they sit since.
Version 1 requires you press F2 to start, but never tells you to do so. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
ajtgarber
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by ajtgarber »

Language: Java
My first game was a little Coin-Collection game, you were a little square and there was only one coin on the screen, after you collected that coin the first coin and another would appear, then after you collected those another coin would appear, and then after you collected those a final one would appear, after that nothing happened. The game was coding very poorly, but it ran inside a web browser :) (Applets ftw). No graphics whatsoever.
Trimmy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: A Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC ( Mac OS )
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Trimmy »

My first game was a 3D collect cubes as a cube game. I made it about a year ago and programmed it in C++ using OpenGL and GLUT.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q4AypuDr9jY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q4AypuDr9jY&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Obviously the "game-play" isn't really 3D just the camera and collision detection.
My Programming Projects:http://www.youtube.com/user/TrimmyS
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

you're telling me none of you did text games? WTF?
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

My first game was a 3D game with over 9000 amazing future realistic looking effects and sounds.

lol jk

I don't remember what my first game was... I'd say what I'm doing now is my REAL first game :)
There's no place like ~/
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

LeonBlade wrote:My first game was a 3D game with over 9000 amazing future realistic looking effects and sounds.

lol jk

I don't remember what my first game was... I'd say what I'm doing now is my REAL first game :)
pretty much the same here... though I guess you could count my tic tac toe and pong as first games... sorta
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

also side note, I love the OPs name :D I'm a proud member of the take down all the mutha f****** zombies association
ZOMBIE!!!
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ZOMBIE!!! »

eatcomics wrote:also side note, I love the OPs name :D I'm a proud member of the take down all the mutha f****** zombies association
Thank you... I mean... HRRRRRRRRNNGGGGGGGHHHHHH.
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

When I started programming I went with C++ because I found a book on it at the local book store. It didn't last long as the book didn't focus on game development and I had never heard of any graphics libraries and got the impression C++ only did very basic things, at this time, I did not visit forums of any kind. So I found an article about BlitzBasic in a computer magazine along with a demo CD and that caught my attention for four years, their forums were very helpfull and friendly as well. Here are some of the early games I managed to make at an early stage. I'm still missing a lot of them but I stumbled upon this a few days ago and this topic made me think of it and then maybe share it as well for some laughs.

Pong - Basic one player pong.
"Shoot'em up" - Didn't really get far on this, don't download it unless you're very very bored. (Not really a schmup either, I took the word too literally)
Dragon Breath I - One of my favourite projects from that time.
Dragon Breath II - Not really a sequel, just a different level.

Note: Blitz3D tends to produce large executables and I wasn't using PNG at the time, hence the filesizes for these simple games. Also, at the time I did not practice the use of tilemaps, types/classes/objects, that stuff and other stuff came a bit later. Hope some of it is enjoyable.

Edit: First game was probably a textbased one in C++, but very very basic.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Pritam I love the character in the Shoot'em Up, and Dragon Breath is a really neat game concept.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

dandymcgee wrote:Pritam I love the character in the Shoot'em Up, and Dragon Breath is a really neat game concept.
Thanks man :)
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

dandymcgee wrote:Pritam I love the character in the Shoot'em Up, and Dragon Breath is a really neat game concept.
Agreed man! Nice one Pritam ;)
Ginto8 wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:My first game was a 3D game with over 9000 amazing future realistic looking effects and sounds.

lol jk

pretty much the same here... though I guess you could count my tic tac toe and pong as first games... sorta
kinda me too. I wouldn't consider anything I've made a proper/finished game :( apart from a few crappy expections :lol:
-> Top down shooter
-> Pickin' Sticks 3D