Opinions on wxWidgets vs QT when making a map editor?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Opinions on wxWidgets vs QT when making a map editor?

Post by epicasian »

I'm currently building an engine using SDL, and am wondering on your guys' experience with either QT or wxWidgets when making a map editor. Is there a major difference, in your opinion on their ease of use? Does either integrate better with SDL?

Thanks,
~Asian
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Re: Opinions on wxWidgets vs QT when making a map editor?

Post by MrDeathNote »

I can't say i've really worked with wxWidgets, but i have worked with Qt and it's great. It amazing for developing C++ gui. I'm not sure if it integrates well with SDL but it works great with OpenGL, so if you have experience with OpenGL go for Qt.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by epicasian »

I have absolutely no experience with OpenGL. I would like to try it, but I'm afraid I'd be overwhelmed by the complexity of it. How difficult would you say OpenGL is for a beginner?

Thanks,
~Asian
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

If you used QT, you probably wouldn't even have to use OpenGL explicitly. QPainter can be hardware accelerated and handles all OpenGL calls for you.
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by epicasian »

GyroVorbis wrote:If you used QT, you probably wouldn't even have to use OpenGL explicitly. QPainter can be hardware accelerated and handles all OpenGL calls for you.
Eventually, I want to use OpenGL instead of SDL, how hard is it compared to SDL?
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

epicasian wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:If you used QT, you probably wouldn't even have to use OpenGL explicitly. QPainter can be hardware accelerated and handles all OpenGL calls for you.
Eventually, I want to use OpenGL instead of SDL, how hard is it compared to SDL?
I'm not going to sugar coat this for you, OpenGL is a complex API. Where it takes one line to render a sprite with SDL, it may take ten or twenty lines (or more depending on what your trying to do of course) in OpenGL. But you do gain alot in the way of rendering power, and you can write your own rendering system so that you can render sprites in a manner similar to SDL i.e. with one line of code. The best advice I can give you if your thinking about trying OpenGL is to take a look at some of the online sources such as NeHe, this may give you a better understanding of what your getting yourself into.

Also as, Falco said, Qt has its own rendering system called QPainter, which renders sprites very simply. QPainters back end is in OpenGL so you get a lot of power from there. It's something to think about and it's easy to pick up. In the end it's really up to you.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by WSPSNIPER »

Qt is my opinion, idk if you can use sdl with it, I tried but sdl defines main as SDLmain and QT as qmain so it dident work for me but i was just using it to load images so the QImage worked for me. the QPainter is nice although I create my textures and render them the old fashion way using the qt painter is nice
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

from some tuts I've seen it looks like you can use int main but maybe not for what you guys are talking about.. IDK I haven't done much research into qt
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by WSPSNIPER »

eatcomics wrote:from some tuts I've seen it looks like you can use int main but maybe not for what you guys are talking about.. IDK I haven't done much research into qt

i used int main but i got errors saying that qt defines main as qmain and SDL defines main as SDLmain
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

WSPSNIPER wrote:
eatcomics wrote:from some tuts I've seen it looks like you can use int main but maybe not for what you guys are talking about.. IDK I haven't done much research into qt

i used int main but i got errors saying that qt defines main as qmain and SDL defines main as SDLmain
Why would you even want to use SDL with QT? Is that not like a million times overkill? SDL is an entire multimedia library, and QT incorporates all functionality that SDL could offer. OpenGL at least makes sense, because it's just a 3D graphics API, and QT uses it for the back-end anyway.

Will your game and engine be standalone applications? If so, why not just use QT to handle everything for your editor? You probably won't even have to touch a single OpenGL call.
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by WSPSNIPER »

GyroVorbis wrote:
WSPSNIPER wrote:

Why would you even want to use SDL with QT? Is that not like a million times overkill? SDL is an entire multimedia library, and QT incorporates all functionality that SDL could offer. OpenGL at least makes sense, because it's just a 3D graphics API, and QT uses it for the back-end anyway.

Will your game and engine be standalone applications? If so, why not just use QT to handle everything for your editor? You probably won't even have to touch a single OpenGL call.

ya i found that out when i was forced to go with qt lol. When i did i saw how nice and easy it is but one thing about it is its kindof overkill its self. the QRect class has like a billion functions that do the same thing like moveTopLeft, moveTo, move and setCoords, setRect exc. i just created my own rect struct containing x, y, w, h and a function setRect(int x, int y, int w, int h)
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

SFML integrates directly into QT, so maybe you should check that out.
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by WSPSNIPER »

Live-Dimension wrote:SFML integrates directly into QT, so maybe you should check that out.
tried it and loved it until i got 2 renderwindows and the textures wouldent load on the second one lol