ZOMG, FATHERHOOD

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: ZOMG, FATHERHOOD

Post by trufun202 »

X Abstract X wrote:Congratulations Trufun! I know I'm like a year late but better late than never, right?

[selfish asshole]
I have to say, I don't understand the whole having kids thing. From my 18-year-old-selfish-male perspective, it seems to me that having kids is a vicious cycle of getting nothing done. You have kids then suddenly everything is about them and you forget about all your dreams and goals. Your kids grow up and do the same damn thing. I would rather spend my time doing something for myself, there's way too many people on this planet anyway.
[/selfish asshole]
I appreciate your interesting and honest perspective.

For me, I wanted to make damn sure that I was ready before having kids. I'm 29 years old. I had time to go to college, stay VERY drunk for a few years, get married, and start my career. You'd be surprised...even by your late twenties, mortality suddenly becomes a reality. I am my father's only son, so the family tree ends with me. When I'm 85 and dying, I want to have family there.

Having a kid has an unbelievable affect on how you see the world. I can still pursue my childhood dreams through my career, but I have a whole new set of dreams for my kid(s) and my family.

My advice - stick with your beliefs on this and revisit it in 10 years. ;)
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by rolland »

GyroVorbis wrote: /wipes tear from eye.

Beautiful, just beautiful. :cry:
For some reason, I don't think you're talking about the baby.
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

X Abstract X wrote:Congratulations Trufun! I know I'm like a year late but better late than never, right?

[selfish asshole]
I have to say, I don't understand the whole having kids thing. From my 18-year-old-selfish-male perspective, it seems to me that having kids is a vicious cycle of getting nothing done. You have kids then suddenly everything is about them and you forget about all your dreams and goals. Your kids grow up and do the same damn thing. I would rather spend my time doing something for myself, there's way too many people on this planet anyway.
[/selfish asshole]
I used to say that too. One day you'll fall in love. Things change.
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

GyroVorbis wrote:One day you'll fall in love.
I already have, and she's on layaway. I'm going to wait until I'm 40 or so, and then I'll buy her from the chinese mailorder bride website. By then she should be at least the U.S. age of consent.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

wearymemory wrote:
I already have, and she's on layaway. I'm going to wait until I'm 40 or so, and then I'll buy her from the chinese mailorder bride website. By then she should be at least the U.S. age of consent.
That's lust, not love. Lust doesn't bring happiness, though love can ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Know what else brings happiness? Skies of Arcadia... We should all play now
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

Ginto8 wrote:
wearymemory wrote:
That's lust, not love. Lust doesn't bring happiness, though love can ;)
All I heard was "sesame chicken."
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Coming from a young father's perspective, I was 20 when I had my son. I would of KILLED to have Trufun's 9 extra years to get everything done that I wanted to, but I wouldn't trade him in for anything. He's changed my life for the better, not saying that everything is bails of roses, but he makes it worth while. I became a much less selfish person because of him. :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."