Game Industry Tweet - J Force

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: Game Industry Tweet - J Force

Post by Ginto8 »

hurstshifter wrote:Not sure why, but I was browsing their website today to see if they had made any 'real' games since their Samurai Kirby ripoff and I stumbled across their sales stats

http://jforcegames.com/blog/index.php?s ... wdownsales

Am I reading this right? Have they actually netted $40k off of this game?
probably. They may actually have been right, saying "any publicity is good publicity." Falco's vids probably made more people interested, because most arguments against them were technical, therefore over quite a few viewers' heads. Also, there were people buying it to laugh at its suckishness.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Ginto8 wrote:probably. They may actually have been right, saying "any publicity is good publicity." Falco's vids probably made more people interested, because most arguments against them were technical, therefore over quite a few viewers' heads. Also, there were people buying it to laugh at its suckishness.
They pretty much used us to roll in cash.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Ginto8 wrote: Also, there were people buying it to laugh at its suckishness.
::facepalm::
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

RyanPridgeon wrote:
Ginto8 wrote:probably. They may actually have been right, saying "any publicity is good publicity." Falco's vids probably made more people interested, because most arguments against them were technical, therefore over quite a few viewers' heads. Also, there were people buying it to laugh at its suckishness.
They pretty much used us to roll in cash.
Seriously guys? Seriously?

I'm at 3k subscribers, and probably less than half of them actively watch my videos. Then consider the fact that JFail vs GyroVorbis is nowhere NEAR one of our most popular videos. We have nowhere near the audience that could purchase that many copies of the game. You guys are giving JForce WAY too much credit here. They did TRY to use us, but my video response would have made absolutely no difference in the planet on their sales.

This was a direct result of Avatar Showdown being one of the first ever XBLA titles to utilize avatars. JForce also marketed it as if it were a Mortal Kombat-esque game, not a "push A to win" game.

Those of you who think that our community had anything to do with this really need to have a look at the XBLA market. 99% of the people who bought the game don't even know who JForce is. They just saw a shiny new avatar-based game that looked like Mortal Kombat. JForce still has a very, VERY, VERY tiny fanbase. The truth is that unless "Unstoppable" can pull off another silly little XBLA gimmick, it won't enjoy a fifth of the sales that Avatar Showdown did. It was at the right time in the right place.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

true 'dat :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

GyroVorbis wrote:Seriously guys? Seriously?

I'm at 3k subscribers, and probably less than half of them actively watch my videos. Then consider the fact that JFail vs GyroVorbis is nowhere NEAR one of our most popular videos. We have nowhere near the audience that could purchase that many copies of the game. You guys are giving JForce WAY too much credit here. They did TRY to use us, but my video response would have made absolutely no difference in the planet on their sales.

This was a direct result of Avatar Showdown being one of the first ever XBLA titles to utilize avatars. JForce also marketed it as if it were a Mortal Kombat-esque game, not a "push A to win" game.

Those of you who think that our community had anything to do with this really need to have a look at the XBLA market. 99% of the people who bought the game don't even know who JForce is. They just saw a shiny new avatar-based game that looked like Mortal Kombat. JForce still has a very, VERY, VERY tiny fanbase. The truth is that unless "Unstoppable" can pull off another silly little XBLA gimmick, it won't enjoy a fifth of the sales that Avatar Showdown did. It was at the right time in the right place.

Agreed. Considering the low rating that the game has, its very likely that most people simply purchased the game because "OOOoooo! Avatar combat!" and then realized shortly after how terrible it actually is. TBH, I hope that their finished product of Unstoppable is enjoyable, because I'd like to see something substantial come out of all of this talk.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Sure the product blows harder than an oil well, but rather than be jealous of their profits I give 'em props for pulling it off. They could all get great jobs in advertising. :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

dandymcgee wrote:Sure the product blows harder than an oil well, but rather than be jealous of their profits I give 'em props for pulling it off. They could all get great jobs in advertising. :lol:
I disagree.

They didn't "advertise" anything. Of their <700 subs, only a few of them possibly saw the trailer. That doesn't account for a fraction of their sales. The people who downloaded the game just saw the title and description on XBLA.

As I've said (and they have admitted), they found a niche gimmick (first avatar gayme!!11one) and played it off. I'm not belittling their achievement at all. It is definitely quite a clever feat--but it's a feat of market foresight (an impressive one) and had NOTHING to do with advertisements.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

It appears from their latest video that they've recruited Egoraptor for cutscenes in Unstoppable. This should really boost the popularity of the game. I may hate Jforce, but Egoraptor is hilarious.

http://egoraptor.net/?page_id=65
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:Sure the product blows harder than an oil well, but rather than be jealous of their profits I give 'em props for pulling it off. They could all get great jobs in advertising. :lol:
I disagree.

They didn't "advertise" anything. Of their <700 subs, only a few of them possibly saw the trailer. That doesn't account for a fraction of their sales. The people who downloaded the game just saw the title and description on XBLA.

As I've said (and they have admitted), they found a niche gimmick (first avatar gayme!!11one) and played it off. I'm not belittling their achievement at all. It is definitely quite a clever feat--but it's a feat of market foresight (an impressive one) and had NOTHING to do with advertisements.
"Market foresight". Much more appropriate vocabulary choice. This is what I was trying to get at, but "advertising" was a far fetched attempt at saying so.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

hurstshifter wrote:It appears from their latest video that they've recruited Egoraptor for cutscenes in Unstoppable. This should really boost the popularity of the game. I may hate Jforce, but Egoraptor is hilarious.

http://egoraptor.net/?page_id=65
Wow, that's lame. I briefly talked to Egoraptor back before the Metal Gear Awesome stuff. He's probably just like "Cool, video game opportunity!" and doesn't really realize the quality of the work being done. >>

I hate to see people making shit also making money off their shit.