question how to proceed

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Avishaiozeri
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

question how to proceed

Post by Avishaiozeri »

Hi everybody.. I've been practicing SDL lately, and i started thinking... I have to ask you, how will i know the methods used in game development? I mean, i don't want to sound stupid, but for example, when i wanted to create animation, i didn't know how to do it, and i came up with something that worked, but is terribly 'ugly', and unusable.. The actual game himself i probably need to figure out myself, but where can one learn how the basic important stuff are done? I don't think everybody finds is own way, i think there are some methods that are used for this kind of stuff. (animation, the spreading of tiles, and the way the details about a map is stored in the file etc.) Am i right?
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: question how to proceed

Post by RyanPridgeon »

While you're still learning, it probably doesn't matter that much. The more you practise, and the more you come to terms with design and OOP, the better you will get at this.

Whenever I want to know the proper way of doing something, I usually look around the web or at other peoples' source and see how others do it. Then I use what I know combined with what I read to work something out. The articles on Gamedev.net and Gamasutra contain a few goldmines of information too.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Avishaiozeri
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: question how to proceed

Post by Avishaiozeri »

RyanPridgeon wrote:While you're still learning, it probably doesn't matter that much. The more you practise, and the more you come to terms with design and OOP, the better you will get at this.

Whenever I want to know the proper way of doing something, I usually look around the web or at other peoples' source and see how others do it. Then I use what I know combined with what I read to work something out. The articles on Gamedev.net and Gamasutra contain a few goldmines of information too.
Well, you're right... thanks man. Are there any books to help with object orientedness?