E-Newsletter?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: E-Newsletter?

Post by Falco Girgis »

I definitely like the idea...

It's essentially what I wanted our new, super secret, ultimate website to be (in newsletter form). Considering the fact that development on said site is... going nowhere at this point, I'm all for doing this.

It doesn't take a genius to look around this community and see all of the budding young talent and promising young indie projects. It doesn't take a genius to realize that uniting these projects and further developing a community (with something like a website or newsletter) would serve to gain every project well-deserved publicity and help educate upcoming developers to begin their own projects.

It's win-win for every party involved.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Great idea! :)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I think its unanimous that this idea is a WIN and should definitely proceed :D
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

This is an Awesome idea :)
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

Well then, the next logical step would be assessing the amount of content we would be able to produce. For now, everyone who wants to be involved should do one of two things: either reply to this thread or e-mail aamesxdavid@gmail.com with:

-If you want to write:
-the section(s) you're interested in writing for
-your project
-any other ideas for content

-If you want to read:
-what you want to see
-questions you have
-other thoughts/ideas

E-mail would probably be ideal for the former, so we can keep this thread more general (and not bloated), and so we can get e-mail communication worked out for sending content around.

And anything else I may have forgotten, please post below.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

That sounds really awsome! :worship: :worship:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I would be very interested in perhaps contributing a technical column to each "iteration" based on my current development with the ES engine. I've been wanting to do some kind of blog of my own for forever now. Since it looks like our site won't be done for a very long time, this would be a great place to do it.
Thomas_Bates
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Project CERBERUS (linux only)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Thomas_Bates »

I could edit and review it/put it together if we use Google Docs, I use it quite often. I'm not sure how you want to distribute it, or format it, I'm all linux, so no MS Publisher, it will be pretty straight forward if I put it together, unless someone knows of some good publishing software for Ubuntu.

Due to me, wtf you're the one that when I was ready said you either didn't like the recording thing, or you didn't feel like it, the times you wanted me to do it I was sick or busy! (or just too damn lazy but that was only like 2 times) and the website never got up, hardly my fault, I don't see why we should even do one without a website.
The only time I ever refused to do it was when my laptop's recording equipment chose to kill itself, we've talked about it before. I'm not blaming you for the website, I blame Jamie for that, he hasn't fixed the server yet. Hell, if the server wasn't in Ireland I'd fix it myself.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

aamesxdavid wrote:Well then, the next logical step would be assessing the amount of content we would be able to produce. For now, everyone who wants to be involved should do one of two things: either reply to this thread or e-mail aamesxdavid@gmail.com with:

-If you want to write:
-the section(s) you're interested in writing for
-your project
-any other ideas for content

-If you want to read:
-what you want to see
-questions you have
-other thoughts/ideas

E-mail would probably be ideal for the former, so we can keep this thread more general (and not bloated), and so we can get e-mail communication worked out for sending content around.

And anything else I may have forgotten, please post below.
Well, here's what I definitely want to see (most of it has been mentioned I believe:

-Any updates on ANY projects around the site(or beyond even!)
-Some type of tutorial on something to help the newcomers along
-Some small 'art showcase'
-Maybe link in any sounds/songs people have made for video games?
-Every issue, pick a video game(professional OR indie?) and talk about it, give it a rating, etc. And then have other contributors put comments onto it
-Anytime an ES update has occurred since the last issue, there should DEFINITELY be something on it haha

And that's all I can really think of.

I'l definitely be reading it, and I'd love to help with the writing, but I don't really know how I could actually help... But I'll write about anything I can!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Thomas_Bates wrote:I could edit and review it/put it together if we use Google Docs, I use it quite often. I'm not sure how you want to distribute it, or format it, I'm all linux, so no MS Publisher, it will be pretty straight forward if I put it together, unless someone knows of some good publishing software for Ubuntu.

Due to me, wtf you're the one that when I was ready said you either didn't like the recording thing, or you didn't feel like it, the times you wanted me to do it I was sick or busy! (or just too damn lazy but that was only like 2 times) and the website never got up, hardly my fault, I don't see why we should even do one without a website.
The only time I ever refused to do it was when my laptop's recording equipment chose to kill itself, we've talked about it before. I'm not blaming you for the website, I blame Jamie for that, he hasn't fixed the server yet. Hell, if the server wasn't in Ireland I'd fix it myself.
Us not doing it was only due to me for a week or so while I was busy, then for a day or so later I was feeling sick, there was a couple of days in that week I wasn't busy, but I wasn't exactly ecstatic with doing it. after that when I was ready you weren't, it wasn't all me

And as for this post I would be interested in maybe interviewing other developers, or maybe working on some kind of education... although I'm not good for education if I were doing it it would be for my benefit as well, seeing as how i would also be learning what ever was being taught xD so probably not the best candidate for that, but I would love to interview others, and have some sort of part in this :D OOh also we could do a different photo of avan with an article all about him every issue xD
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

GyroVorbis wrote:I would be very interested in perhaps contributing a technical column to each "iteration" based on my current development with the ES engine. I've been wanting to do some kind of blog of my own for forever now. Since it looks like our site won't be done for a very long time, this would be a great place to do it.
That would be fantastic. And it would be a documented progression that could be transferred to the new site when it's done, so you'll have plenty of content on launch.

How many projects do we have going on here? I'm sure there are at least one or two that don't have their own threads, but people would like to know about. We need to get as many as we can, as it probably is the section that will have the most interest across the board - even the most experienced developers are still interested in what others are doing.

Again, I think pretty much everyone can contribute to design and/or reviews, so that would be just a matter of people stepping forward with an idea at any given time.

As for edjukation, that's probably a bit trickier, but we need to think small for that - you're not going to teach someone OpenGL in one article. Just an overview, or the basics. It doesn't have to be super complicated, and definitely not too long.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

I'd be more than happy to contribute. I dont have a steady project, but would love to do a few articles on data structures, math in games, and so on.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Well I think we should start a thread asking for people who are doing projects who want there stuff in the newsletter to post

and edukacion (added a c for dramatic effect) should be more on a specific sort of developer tip... Like maybe how to make a simple particle system (that's probably a little too big) but you know specific tutorials, not broad like learning a new language, but like tips and stuff :D maybe like Lua basics or such things

Edit: Avan lol @ ur sig :P
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

avansc wrote:I'd be more than happy to contribute. I dont have a steady project, but would love to do a few articles on data structures, math in games, and so on.
Same here.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

eatcomics wrote:Well I think we should start a thread asking for people who are doing projects who want there stuff in the newsletter to post
Well, as a start, that's basically what this thread should be for. Once things get going, it should really be done through e-mail - we don't want to clutter the forums with things that are going into the newsletter.. otherwise there would be little point to the newsletter. ;)

I'll be updating the original post with a list of what everyone is willing to do, and we'll take it from there.