Is STL a neccisity

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Is STL a neccisity

Post by Falco Girgis »

dream_coder wrote:lol. Sorry this just makes me laugh. Not anything about u guys. Just that book I have been following "C++ through games programming". It briefly mentions arrays but for everything that could be stored in an array it uses a vector. Think Im definately going to be going through the other book before starting my own projects. From what I can gather from these forums "Beginning C++ through game programming" just teaches bad coding practice.
Wow, sounds like a really shitty book to me.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

GyroVorbis wrote:
dream_coder wrote:lol. Sorry this just makes me laugh. Not anything about u guys. Just that book I have been following "C++ through games programming". It briefly mentions arrays but for everything that could be stored in an array it uses a vector. Think Im definately going to be going through the other book before starting my own projects. From what I can gather from these forums "Beginning C++ through game programming" just teaches bad coding practice.
For real. There should AT LEAST be an entire chapter dedicated to arrays.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

hurstshifter wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
For real. There should AT LEAST be an entire chapter dedicated to arrays.
Tru dat.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

Lol i did tell you in the first reply that it was the worst programming book i've ever read. It's not a bad coding practice it teaches, its fucking appauling. I'd have to say the worst thing it does is completely ignore OOP, every program in it is one class. And according to the author, creating programs with separate classes is beyond the scope of the book. I've never heard such utter bullshit in my life.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
dream_coder
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dream_coder »

True you did. Its a shame really because Pointer and References are explained pretty well.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Ginto8 wrote:
avansc wrote:Here, I'll actually answer the question.

No, STL is NOT a necessity.
(for example, std::string's are a lot slower and resource-hogging than dynamic char arrays,
Most of the time strings are just as fast as char[].

STL is good when used well :)
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Bullet Pulse
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Bullet Pulse »

The Beginning C++ Through Game Programming book will teach you almost all of the things you need to know to start learning SDL or another API.

However, it will take experimentation on your part to learn the book, because it is brief.
But as a programmer, you should be doing that anyway.

So good luck, and remember that it's important to test your knowledge by making programs that implement the things you are learning in whatever book you choose to learn from. :)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

Bullet Pulse wrote:The Beginning C++ Through Game Programming book will teach you almost all of the things you need to know to start learning SDL or another API.

However, it will take experimentation on your part to learn the book, because it is brief.
But as a programmer, you should be doing that anyway.

So good luck, and remember that it's important to test your knowledge by making programs that implement the things you are learning in whatever book you choose to learn from. :)
Are you telling him to keep learning from a book that encourages bad programming practice? Just because the books brief doesn't mean it should be shit. It's the same length as Accelerated c++ practical programming by example which covers things like using header files/template classes/friend classes/STL and shitloads more that aren't covered in Beginning C++ Through Game Programming.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup