Teach Yourself Programming in 21 Days

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Uncle-Ruckus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Teach Yourself Programming in 21 Days

Post by Uncle-Ruckus »

:mrgreen:

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Teach Yourself Programming in 21 Days

Post by Trask »

lol, I saw that yesteday... so true.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Oh man, that could actually make for a twisted up sci-fi novel with some changes.
Not to mention book titles!

C++ gone mad
c++ in the 22nd century
How to learn c++ for dummies, revised.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

HA! Thanks for the share. EPIC!! :lol:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

I wouldn't replace younger self for 2 reasons: 1, time paradox. 2, you'd have to relive annoying mames and crap

Instead I'd dump my knowledge in past self :)
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

M_D_K wrote:I wouldn't replace younger self for 2 reasons: 1, time paradox. 2, you'd have to relive annoying mames and crap

You are thinking too much :shock:
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

K-Bal wrote:
M_D_K wrote:I wouldn't replace younger self for 2 reasons: 1, time paradox. 2, you'd have to relive annoying mames and crap

I disagree; he's not thinking enough. You run into the same type of problem giving knowledge to your past self - if you past self gets this knowledge, he has no need of going back in time to provide it to what is now his present self, which would be required for him to get this knowledge in the first place.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

aamesxdavid wrote:
K-Bal wrote:

I disagree; he's not thinking enough. You run into the same type of problem giving knowledge to your past self - if you past self gets this knowledge, he has no need of going back in time to provide it to what is now his present self, which would be required for him to get this knowledge in the first place.
Unless you make sure that he does the trip and also updates old self with the new knowledge gained. Also, he may want to give you some of that money that you're bound to be earning with all the inventions to start investing to make even more money and to start projects even sooner.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

aamesxdavid wrote:
K-Bal wrote:

this is all presuming predestiny. By going back in time (bending the 4th dimension through the 5th), the "old you" that just went back in time would modify which path through the 5th dimension (probability, in case you didn't know), the "new you" that just got the info would go through. So in reality, it wouldn't affect the original timeline at all; instead, the "new you" will simply end up going through a very different timeline. Of course, this brings up the multiverse debate, but we are talking about time travel, so what would you expect?
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

I just wanted to point out the senselessness of thinking about this ;) It's not called paradox for nothing.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Ginto8 wrote:
aamesxdavid wrote:
K-Bal wrote:

this is all presuming predestiny. By going back in time (bending the 4th dimension through the 5th), the "old you" that just went back in time would modify which path through the 5th dimension (probability, in case you didn't know), the "new you" that just got the info would go through. So in reality, it wouldn't affect the original timeline at all; instead, the "new you" will simply end up going through a very different timeline. Of course, this brings up the multiverse debate, but we are talking about time travel, so what would you expect?
You know that time travel if it where possible wouldn't have anything to do with a 5th dimension. Relativity says that time travel is possible by using 4d space-time. By travelling faster than the speed of light it is theoretically possible to travel back in time, superstring and M-theory account for 11 or so dimensions, but have little to do with your explanation. You are right in saying that the original time line wouldn't be affected, if you take the view of the multiverse theory. Trust me i was a theoretical physics student before i was a comp sci student ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup