What projects are you currently working on?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: What projects are you currently working on?

Post by CC Ricers »

Been working away at a framework for a rolling marble game, trying not to get carried away with scope creep. I was doing this a year ago but work kept getting in the way and writing my own 3D physics engine proved to be a hassle.

Now I've basically started from scratch and using Bullet Physics and DirectX to power it. Also, working with shaders is cool stuff!
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Myself, a second guy who's into game design (and as it turns out not so into programming), and third guy who's doing flash artwork are creating a tower defense game for the Old Spice - Microsoft promo challenge (tied to the Dream-Build-Play Challenge). The deadline is next Wednesday, Mar. 3 and I'm still trying to get a full working implementation - never mind testing the game and smoothing it out around the edges. I'm busting my balls to get this done, and regardless of how it does I want to get it done in time to submit it.

I feel it's worth gunning for if for no other reason than it means I created my first real game in just over a month and a half and submitted it whereas 4 months ago I was just starting on C#. The fact that I'll have done it will be good enough given the challenge it's been (it's been a lot of fun too - I created a controllable spinning monkey head that screams that will forever be on my friend's Xbox). Soon as this is done I'll go more in depth with C# to get ready for the next project... which I'll talk more about when I decide exactly which one of a couple that I'm going to work on. Either way it's time to get back to busting my balls on getting a working targetting system implemented for this one :lol:
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I am working on two game projects.

One is 2D fighter built in the spirit of MUGEN (where anyone can add content) but based upon Super Smash Bros. king-of-the-hill combat instead of health meter death matches.

The other is a tank game inspired primarily by the Wii Tanks game (one component of Wii Play).
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

TheBuzzSaw wrote: The other is a tank game inspired primarily by the Wii Tanks game (one component of Wii Play).
I love that tank game =D
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I'm attempting to make space invaders in opengl and sdl... It isn't going well, first I was getting linker errors, then I fixed some, new ones would appear, then I started a new project and copied the code in, and then it compiled, but now it won't run, and SDL.dll is in the directory... I'm gonna have to keep messing with it...
quickshot14
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: VB.NET Direct X Game Engine (Working Title)
Programming Language of Choice: VB.NET (for now)

Post by quickshot14 »

Project i'm currenlty working on is in VB.NET (2008) its a countinuation of an RPG engine that I worked on/learned from a book (Great VB.NET programming book in my opinon, first programming book i've ever read cover to cover) called Visual Basic Game Programming For Teens Second Edition By Jonathan S. Harbour (Can easily be found on amzon for a cheap price how i got it) So if anyone is intrested in learning some game programming and your right now comfertable with VB.NET i'd pick it up.

So the engine again is an RPG engine, 2D scroller, currenlty I dont have a name for the game or even the engine, just using a working title: VB.NET Direct X Game Engine (so fancy ;P) i've been adding to the acutal engine quite a bit and already have made quite a few addtions and changes. I've just recently started to vblog my programming on my youtube channel/blog page so by all means if you want to see what its all about and how its going you can check it out @ http://www.youtube.com/quickshot14 a link to my blog is on my youtube channel. This project i'm using will be free and open source whenever its release to the public, i'm using it as a basic starting point for learning the game programming basics you know, classes, game loops, sprite rendering, collision, etc. stuff that i'll be taking on to other programming languages i'll be learning (such as C#, Java, C++ etc.) for more pratical use.

Its been a lot of fun and intresting, what sparked my intrest in acutally working on game development using a language I was right now familer with was acutally the videos from the ES crew here and also Moosader's videos on youtube. The Adv. In Game development youtube series and Moosader's C++ game development tutorials (Pickin Sticks) really inspired me to go ahead and find a way to make games on VB.NET and led me to the book I mentioned above. Once I got the book I was off, and its well done IMO that I acutally read it cover to cover and finshed it and everyhting in it in two days. I've been off running since. So thank you to the ES crew and Moasader for the insperation to get started now instead of waiting for Devry.

Thats pretty much it on what i'm working on again if your intrested in checking it out please take a look at the vids on my youtube channel. If anyone like to contribute in anyway please let me know. Thanks all :)
Amatuer Game Design/Programmer & College Student (Kaplan University: Associate of Applied Sceince in Information Technology: Application Devleopment)
Know Programming Languages & Considered Levels Of Programming in them: Basic(DOS) - 10%, VB(Legacy) - 15%, VB.NET - 55%, C/C++ - 1%, C# - 1%, LUA - 25%, Java - 0%, COBOL - 0%
Quicks14Blog (My Gaming Related Blog Page) - My Youtube Channel Page
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Well, i have quite a few projects in the pipeline at the minute. I've rewritten my map editor in XNA as oppossed to GDI+, I'm writing a 2d rpg engine in C++ with SDL/OGL and my younger brother is going to do all the art. Also i'm working on a networked air hockey game, i have a video made showing all these projects and im uploading it at the min but youtube doesn't like me so it's failed a few times. I'm going to post development vids for the 2d rpg and when i get far enough along i'll start a new topic. I'll post my vid here when youtube finally lets me upload it ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

Well, i finally got the video up but the quality sucks because it hasn't finished processing yet. Thought i'd post it here anyway, it might be processed by the time you see it :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/203Fk3D54DM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/203Fk3D54DM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Protimus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Game Engine

Post by Protimus »

Awesome. Subbed :)
Judge not a man by his language but by his use of the language.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

Cheers man :)

DaveB
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DaveB »

Yeah I am currently learning some C# so I have decided to create a text-adventure type game based off of an engine called Hyperion that you can check out at 3D Buzz. You create this Text Adventure while learning some C# from their videos.

I am modifying it a bit by adding in the ability to load the map and items from XML files, and having a lua based script for each room instead of hard-coding all the win conditions, and item reactions into the engine itself. I am also adding in some RPG style elements such as HP and possibly MP, with some equipment that will give you abilities that you need in order to progress.

for example
you have an item called: Fire Sword. It raises your HP by 10, and gives you the ability fire.
you have an exit called: Ice Wall. You cast fire and it will check the room to see if there are any objects(so far only items, exits, and treasure chests) that have the type of 'Ice', and then it will 'Unlock" said exit or treasure chest.

As for HP, some rooms will have certain chances of doing some sort of damage, for instance maybe when you cast fire on that Ice Wall maybe a chunk of ice broke off and hit you dealing 10 damage.

I feel that with a text adventure game I could let out a bit more of my creative side then if I were to make a full blown 2d/3d rpg :) but that is just me lol.
Last edited by DaveB on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

That sounds awesome dave, keep us updated, and sounds like everyone is busy... I guess I should stop being lazy and get something going, I'm almost done with space invaders, but lately I've been addicted to starcraft, so haven't been programming much, but I should finish it this weekend
Rolayler
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rolayler »

Workin' on a private server of RO~completely revamping it in the end....coming up with 55-ish classes alone...pain in the ass let me tell ya
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

MrDeathNote wrote:Well, i finally got the video up but the quality sucks because it hasn't finished processing yet. Thought i'd post it here anyway, it might be processed by the time you see it :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/203Fk3D54DM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/203Fk3D54DM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Nice one.
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)

Post by xiphirx »

I'm working on a map editor for a PSP homebrew game (not created by me) in C++/SDL.

I do have a video up from a long time ago, the editor is much more sophisticated now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA2ZQnHBTCE[/youtube]

Noisia FTW
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)