C++ to C book

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Dreeb
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

C++ to C book

Post by Dreeb »

I already read the book "C++ primer plus" for c++, and now i want to learn C, because i want to have the option to code in a lower language; dont ask why.

So, what would be the best book for me?
I was thing of C Programming Language, 2nd Edition, since it is known as the "bible of programming".
Or, I was thinking of "C primer plus" because how great "C++ primer plus" was.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: C++ to C book

Post by XianForce »

Dreeb wrote:I already read the book "C++ primer plus" for c++, and now i want to learn C, because i want to have the option to code in a lower language; dont ask why.

So, what would be the best book for me?
I was thing of C Programming Language, 2nd Edition, since it is known as the "bible of programming".
Or, I was thinking of "C primer plus" because how great "C++ primer plus" was.
I'd say for the most part, there are plenty of great C books, but not all are fit to every person. For me, I like the way books in the Sams Teach Yourself ... are organized.

If you were comfortable with how the information was presented and explained in C++ Primer Plus, I'd say C Primer Plus would be a safe bet =p.
andrew
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by andrew »

If you have a good handle on C++ try this: Essential C
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

I'm currently learning from the absolute beginners guide to c which is a good book and is very detailed and well written. I'm not sure whether it would be the best book for you given that it sounds like you already understand how to program and you may find it doesn't go into enough detail on the complexities of the language whereas the c programming language or the c primer plus likely will.
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

The C Programming Language is the book written by Kernighan and Ritchie (Dennis Ritchie is the guy that invented C, and he and Brian Kernighan created Unix using C).
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
Dreeb
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Dreeb »

Thanks, guys for the support; but i am still between sam's teach yourself c, and k & r's book.
Hopefully i will choose one...
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Dreeb wrote:I already read the book "C++ primer plus" for c++, and now i want to learn C, because i want to have the option to code in a lower language; dont ask why.
C is only marginally lower level than C++, and they're almost the same with the exception for OOP, RTTI, and exceptions. If you turn off RTTI and exceptions they run at almost the exact same speed. And both allow integrated assembly. Though I recommend that you learn C, I wouldn't recommend you using it as a complete alternative to C++. Believe me, I've been there. ;)
Last edited by Ginto8 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
kendricktamis
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by kendricktamis »

Please refer Let Us C by Yashawant Kanetkar or Programming in ANSI C (By E Balaguruswamy). Those are the good books to go with. I got this books when i went to India. These are basic books for beginner. My friend suggested me to buy these book. I use it now and give all concept of C.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

wtetzner wrote:The C Programming Language is the book written by Kernighan and Ritchie (Dennis Ritchie is the guy that invented C, and he and Brian Kernighan created Unix using C).
This is one of the greatest programming book EVER, it's clear concise, gets to the point and gives great descriptions. I learned C from this book, the only programming book that i've read that even comes slose to it is C++ practical programming by example. I really recommend this book, it may be old but the language hasn't really changed.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

MrDeathNote wrote:
wtetzner wrote:The C Programming Language is the book written by Kernighan and Ritchie (Dennis Ritchie is the guy that invented C, and he and Brian Kernighan created Unix using C).
This is one of the greatest programming book EVER, it's clear concise, gets to the point and gives great descriptions. I learned C from this book, the only programming book that i've read that even comes slose to it is C++ practical programming by example. I really recommend this book, it may be old but the language hasn't really changed.
/Agreed,

Im'a let you finish C++ practical programming by example, but The C Programming Language is one of the best programming books of all time.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

hurstshifter wrote:
MrDeathNote wrote:
/Agreed,

Im'a let you finish C++ practical programming by example, but The C Programming Language is one of the best programming books of all time.
I have finished C++ practical programming by example, and i found it to be a breath of fresh air compared to sam's teach yourself..... but back on topic get the C programming language, you can't go wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

kendricktamis wrote:Please refer Let Us C by Yashawant Kanetkar or Programming in ANSI C (By E Balaguruswamy). Those are the good books to go with. I got this books when i went to India. These are basic books for beginner. My friend suggested me to buy these book. I use it now and give all concept of C.
The only thing I ever got from India was a mean rash that turned out to be human botfly larva.

I can't help but think that jobypollard is a bot, what with the sex advertisements and copying the posts of other people
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dude that's gotta be a bot... really someone goes to india and decides to drop cash on a programming book? WTF?