Go Programming Language?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

clsDevAaron
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Go Programming Language?

Post by clsDevAaron »

http://golang.org/

Seems that Google has introduced their own programming language as of Tuesday. Anyone heard of, and/or have any opinions on it?

I personally think it looks sort of interesting, but that's just me.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Go Programming Language?

Post by K-Bal »

If I had the time I would try it out but I guess I must wait until smart people give smart reviews on this language.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Eh, it just looks like Google's Java/C# to me. Just like Google had to have their own emails, just like they had to have their own smartphones, just like they had to have their own web browser, just like they had to have their own operating system...

Don't get me wrong, Google is a great company. But everything outside of the search engine/email arena has been more of a novelty rather than bringing anything new or inventive to the table.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure Go has its own strengths and weaknesses, but at first glance it looks like Google just trying to get their foot into the door in another aspect of computing and technology.
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bludklok »

I know Google is trying to take over the world and all but I never thought they would come out with their own programming language. I wouldn't be surprised if "Go" took over as the industry standard some day.
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Bludklok wrote:I know Google is trying to take over the world and all but I never thought they would come out with their own programming language. I wouldn't be surprised if "Go" took over as the industry standard some day.
I would be.

What has Google done that has really caught on? Look at their business ventures. Chrome failed to gain mainstream support. The Android is being raped by the iPhone.

The only real successes that Google has had were through Google search and Gmail (and buying Youtube). Those successes were large enough to fund their many other endeavors which are (comparatively) failures.
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2

Post by Bludklok »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Bludklok wrote:I know Google is trying to take over the world and all but I never thought they would come out with their own programming language. I wouldn't be surprised if "Go" took over as the industry standard some day.
I would be.

What has Google done that has really caught on? Look at their business ventures. Chrome failed to gain mainstream support. The Android is being raped by the iPhone.

The only real successes that Google has had were through Google search and Gmail (and buying Youtube). Those successes were large enough to fund their many other endeavors which are (comparatively) failures.
Bludklok wrote: some day.
I know Google isn't releasing top of the line products right now but whose to say they won't greatly improve? ;)
GyroVorbis wrote:Chrome failed to gain mainstream support.
How so? I'm not doubting you but I use Chrome and so far I'm pleased with it. I don't really understand what you mean by mainstream support. Keep in mind chrome is only in Beta
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Chrome failed to gain mainstream support.
Bludklok wrote: so? I'm not doubting you but I use Chrome and so far I'm pleased with it. I don't really understand what you mean by mainstream support. Keep in mind chrome is only in Beta
Falco is just saying that it failed to go mainstream which is true since I believe its only like 3 or 4 percent market share. Everything google does is in beta so that doesn't mean anything gmail was in beta for like 5 years.I like google and all and its hard to complain since they do not charge for most of there products but nothing that they have done so far has really impressed me.
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

Google is some sort of Microsoft clone.
Microsoft copies things, and Google does also.
I'm sure that someday there will be a Google Console...

Google will take over the world!
Follow me on twitter!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft somehow secretly owns Google. Think about how much more successful they could be under a new identity.

Hey.. I'm getting pretty good at this conspiracy thing. :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

probably my biggest disappointment with google is that they hire some of the smartest people yet they still have not put anything new or innovative out.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I think microsoft owns every company, IGA, Google, Walmart, the pawn shop down town, Apple, all secretly owned and run by microsoft, so that they don't look like an illegal monopoly
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

Oh great.
Google,
Search Engine, E-mail, Voice chat, Operation System,Social API , Programming language, World Domination... who knows what they'll do next!
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
kamokow
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kamokow »

Netwatcher wrote:Oh great.
Google,
Search Engine, E-mail, Voice chat, Operation System,Social API , Programming language, World Domination... who knows what they'll do next!
Universal domination would probably something that would come after World Domination.
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

i agree google just copies other things that are successfull but to me that doesn't mean there products are crap i love Chrome it's fast and easy to use. And gmail rocks and with their search engine they rock the internet completley almost i mean look they have all this: http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/
i mean other than these : Gmail , Chrome Youtube and Google.com they really aren't special that much i'd rather use MS or other Open source products

and if they do come out with a gaming platform i'd die laughing and probably be all over it
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
Master Jake
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Master Jake »

I like the Microsoft conspiracy :lol:

Also, I've watched the video presentation of the Go language, checked out the site, and talked to others about it. So far I haven't found anyone who cares enough to learn it.

Here's my argument for it: It's built from C, and there's no way to gain performance above the language your programming in. (e.g. if i built something in PHP, it could NEVER be faster than PHP because it IS PHP).

So naturally, Go is slower. I predict that it will become a failure and C/C++ will remain as the language of majority choice.

I've also seen their operating system presentation, and being that it is just a web browser and all the applications & software is online, it will probably fail as well. Who wants to depend on their internet speed for their computer experience?