I miss the arcades

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

blittergames
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

I miss the arcades

Post by blittergames »

Anyone else miss the arcades? They are all shutdown in my area, except for a few which are 40 minutes away.
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: I miss the arcades

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

Yeah I do miss them, I used to live in London where there were quite a few and I remember going to them when I was younger. I remember going to an arcade with my friends around the same time that tekken tag tournament was comng out and having a lot of fun playing versus. There is a small arcade about an hour away though and a couple of service stations have small arcades so I guess they aren't completely dead just a lot smaller. I suppose that with the existence of next gen consoles and online play they have become almost "obsolete". I think that a lot of it is probably related to value as people can buy full games for the same price as a couple of credits.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Amen to this topic.

I've been toying with the idea of opening my own arcade since I was about 14 years old.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I'm in college, the only arcade machines my quarters will be seeing anytime soon are washing machines and toll booths. :lol: I wish I could get my hands on an arcade machine though, I'd be more than happy to use it at a giant sophisticated piggy bank.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360

Post by Trask »

Same here, definitely missed out on a lot as I was too young and now I can't get that time back. I do plan on building a full MAME Arcade cabinet for my game room, once I get a game room....
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

Same here, definitely missed out on a lot as I was too young and now I can't get that time back. I do plan on building a full MAME Arcade cabinet for my game room, once I get a game room....
Yeah I know what you mean I feel like I've missed one of the best times in gaming. I suppose we have that added advantage of being able to play old games both arcade and console games aswell as the opportunity to be part of the newer game ganerations. I wish I had a game room too I have a small unit and can only fit 3 consoles on it I could do with more space. I bought one of nurve networks' Hydras which is a propeller chip based game development kit which I am quite pleased about as it will gve me the chance to learn to make retro games aswel as play other people's games.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

ChrissyJ91 wrote:
yeah I were I live now there isn't an arcade anywhere, Thats why I really want to go to japan cause the arcade scene there is still huge. Whenever I buy my first house the first thing I am doing is building an arcade room.