Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by eatcomics »

AntiMatter wrote:Hello everyone.
My name is Jesse, I'm 14, and I just recently started learning c++ (I've been watching AntiRTFM's tutorials for about 2 weeks now)
I learned a bit of python when I was 13.

BTW Please don't label me as an arrogant prick because of my age, just ticks me off when people label me as the young arrogant person stereotype.
I was around 13 when I signed up here, if you do something wrong, they will tell you and you can fix it... So you're good as long as you don't get ticked off by advice, you'll do fine
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Firzen wrote:So: "Hello world, I'm new"

My Name is Nils Ole Timm and I'm from germany. I am 19 years of age and been programming for some years.

I generally write in C# but am changing to C++ recently to escape the limitations of Microsoft.
My first program was a small adventure game written in Turbo Pascal when I was 8, I had helped with that however and did not get what was going on back then. :)

The first thing I wrote all by myself was some sort of fireworks screensaver when I was 11 or something I think.
Hello! Fireworks screensaver, cool.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Netwatcher »

Firzen wrote:So: "Hello world, I'm new"

My Name is Nils Ole Timm and I'm from germany. I am 19 years of age and been programming for some years.

I generally write in C# but am changing to C++ recently to escape the limitations of Microsoft.
My first program was a small adventure game written in Turbo Pascal when I was 8, I had helped with that however and did not get what was going on back then. :)

The first thing I wrote all by myself was some sort of fireworks screensaver when I was 11 or something I think.
Hell-O's, Ole.
finally got the guts to sign up to the forums I see :lol:

Welcome and have a nice life.

see ya on IRC.
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
Draoz100
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by Draoz100 »

cout <<"Hello, world!\n"

Hello, my name is Daniel and i'm from Denmark(scandinavia). I've been learning c++ for about a year now.
I enjoy playing videogames, playing guitar, and of course long nights of programming.
kamokow
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kamokow »

Draoz100 wrote:cout <<"Hello, world!\n"

Hello, my name is Daniel and i'm from Denmark(scandinavia). I've been learning c++ for about a year now.
I enjoy playing videogames, playing guitar, and of course long nights of programming.
Where's your semi-colon :-/. Also hi, and welcome to the forums ^_^
Draoz100
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by Draoz100 »

kamokow wrote:
Draoz100 wrote:cout <<"Hello, world!\n"

Where's your semi-colon :-/. Also hi, and welcome to the forums ^_^
:)

I usually forget something stupid like that.
DeltaFolee
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, GameCube, PS4

Post by DeltaFolee »

Hello, world! I'm DeltaFolee, and I've been watching GyroVorbis videos for a long time. (I've seen every episode at least twice) I've been a lurker on the forums for a while now, and figured it was about time I posted. I'm still kind of a noob with C++, but it's what I am constantly working on and it is my language of choice. I'm proficient in PHP, as well. I am 15 years old and I'm in 10th grade. I'm very interesting in becoming a part of the game dev scene, and have purchased books on C++, SDL, and Lua. My current YouTube account is FoleePrime (My old account was DeltaYourmom, however I no longer use it due to its stupid name). Hopefully this forum will be a great place to socialize and learn from masters of game development.
If only I could be so grossly incandescent
Shoulin
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Escape the Room Puzzle Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PS3, Wii

Post by Shoulin »

Hello World!

Name is Robert Cook, I am 20 years old and currently working on my Bachelor's degree in Game Design at ITT-Technical Institute. I have just recently found out about the site TBH after watching some of the later Elysian Shadows movies (kudos to you guys for your amazing work, and helping to inspire me even more!)

I recently have been teaching myself C++ since I am going into the Game Design field. Some of you may ask why I don't already know since I am working on my Bachelor's. Good question actually, my Associates is in Computer Drafting and Design, which works more with AutoCAD, Blueprints, Mechanical rendering and the sort. After 2 years of that I decided it wasn't for me, but it is a backup for the future if I ever need it (Can never have to many plans eh?)

I am inclined more toward Graphics Design since I have been doing it since I was about 14 using programs like Photoshop, Maya, 3DS Max, etc. I have been wanting to learn coding for a long time and well here I am. Few weeks of teaching myself the first thing I have to show for it is a text based Tic-Tac-Toe game (Original I know :( ), and some test codes. Watching the movies of ES work and of the various projects that alot of you have posted has inspired me even further and I am going to start working on some ideas I have had for a while now.

Keep up the amazing work ES team, and everyone else on this board :)
Lois, when I'm through with them, our kids will be so smart, they'll be able to program their own VCRs without spilling piping hot gravy all over myself.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Welcome DeltaFolee and Shoulin. Glad to have ya.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Pipjim
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Pipjim »

Hi. I'm a C++ programmer. I'm O.K. at C++ I think, because I read a few books about it and know stuff about it. I'm also trying to learn SDL and libNDS. I'm also starting with C#.

I like to make games, speed/power metal music and draw.
Hopefully I'll be a guitarist in a band or animator when I finish schoolz.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I am an old married man.

I am working toward a career in game development. I use C++. :)

Hello, everyone!
Dukembg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Aberration (Remake in C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Genesis, Atari 7800, Game Boy

Post by Dukembg »

Hey, my name is Matt, 18. My game developing started when I was 12 with GM. In high school I took computer science courses, which used Delphi 4 (-_- cheap school i know). So, I decided to go ahead and try to make some games using Delphi 4 and below are a few that I made in high school :

Snake (Console) - December 27, 2007
Download
Aberration (Console) May 28, 2008
Download
Aberration 2 (Win32) February 16, 2009
Download

Some languages under my belt: GML, Java, Delphi/Pascal, Python, C++

I hope by joining this forum I become a better dev and also help others.
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

Hey, i figured after posting a couple times now i should probably post about me on here.

I'm a 14 y/o kid who wants to make games. My goal is not to make the next GTA but to make classic 2d rpg or 2d mortal kombat type games. I'm learning C++ but i've tried a bunch of diff langauges before. I own like 5 computers (planning on 6) and well i love video games and the whole staying up late for 3 days (weekends) to be anti social and coding actually kinda attracts me (i'm not that social anyway) but i love coding becuase not many "average" people know how to do it but you get rewarded big time if you do!!!
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

thbp wrote:Hey, i figured after posting a couple times now i should probably post about me on here.

I'm a 14 y/o kid who wants to make games. My goal is not to make the next GTA but to make classic 2d rpg or 2d mortal kombat type games. I'm learning C++ but i've tried a bunch of diff langauges before. I own like 5 computers (planning on 6) and well i love video games and the whole staying up late for 3 days (weekends) to be anti social and coding actually kinda attracts me (i'm not that social anyway) but i love coding becuase not many "average" people know how to do it but you get rewarded big time if you do!!!
Welcome to the club! If you're gonna be antisocial, this is the place to do it ;)
good luck on that RPG!
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Ginto8 wrote:
thbp wrote:Hey, i figured after posting a couple times now i should probably post about me on here.

Welcome to the club! If you're gonna be antisocial, this is the place to do it ;)
good luck on that RPG!
seconded!