Programming from scratch?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Programming from scratch?

Post by avansc »

its kinda like making food from a recipe, the more you make it and follow the recipe exactly the sooner you wont even need it.
but dont try and be a programmer that does not need to look things up. always have a <programming language name> desk reference, well on your desk or in arms reach.

programming constructs are pretty much the same all over. separated of course but the different abstraction layers, but the only thing that changes is syntax for the most part, and there is no real reason to focus on the syntax rather than the constructs.

hope that helped a little.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

avansc wrote: but dont try and be a programmer that does not need to look things up. always have a <programming language name> desk reference, well on your desk or in arms reach.
Probably the best point made yet.

Learning as much as you can about the language will help you to finish projects faster, create more impressive/efficient software, and understand the overall structure/design of your program better; but never think that you will ever be too good to use a book/internet reference. Programming isn't like painting in that a good freehand drawing will be better than one that was traced--a program written from memory and a program that was written with the assistance of a textbook will be no different (assuming the code matches of course). Always keep reading and learning as much as you can.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
fingerfry
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, PC, Gameboy Advance SP

Post by fingerfry »

avansc wrote:its kinda like making food from a recipe, the more you make it and follow the recipe exactly the sooner you wont even need it.
That was a really good analogy :)
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

avansc wrote:always have a <programming language name> desk reference, well on your desk or in arms reach.
Or put a C++ internet reference on your search bar.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.