Homelessness by choice.

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Homelessness by choice.

Post by Pickzell »

I say if you want, then do it. Walking obviously, will be hard if you go as the typical overdosed on fast food, fat-ass American, I'd recommend jogging for about 10-15 minutes a day, and as time progresses you will be able to extend on this time without getting tired. Eat plenty of healthy foods and drink tons of water (5-6 glasses a day).

And for the love of god, learn guitar, not banjo.
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

this is like the prelude to a darwin award.
if your folks gave 2 shits about you they would smack some sense into you.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

avansc wrote:this is like the prelude to a darwin award.
if your folks gave 2 shits about you they would smack some sense into you.
Dude stop being such a douchebag.

If he wants to do it, then let him. If he decides it sucks then there is always a way back in the real world, shaw! Yo parents house bitch.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Pickzell wrote:If he decides it sucks then there is always a way back in the real world, shaw! Yo parents house bitch.
Or you could try speaking english? No.. seriously, what did you just say?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

I don't want to argue with anyone. I don't know why you feel the need to be mean in expressing your opinion. Obviously I welcome what you have to say, or I wouldn't have posted my plans, but it is easily possible to say what you mean to say without being blatantly offensive. I mean, there's a difference between being blunt and being an asshole. But maybe I'm just not acquainted well enough with the real world. And I'm an asshole too sometimes. So I don't really know why I'm asking you to censor yourself. Sorry, my friend.

And, to the suggestion of learning guitar in favor of banjo: No! The banjo is a heavenly instrument, and besides, the guitar is just too commonplace.
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

Wutai wrote:I welcome what you have to say...
I THINK YOU'RE A FUCKING KOOK!

Go away.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

kid look. this is nothing personal. but looking back on my own life. at 17-20 you have no idea what you want. jesus christ you cant even control when get a hard on.
i fully understand that you dont wanna chase the dollar and dont wanna be a monkey in a box. but being homeless by choice is not the right thing for anyone to do.
you can work for your self. on your own terms and at your own leisure. you can make your vocation seem like a vacation.

if you think this is being blunt or being an asshole you are not ready for the school of hard knocks.
look, i apologize if i was being mean. i just think that this is a very bad decision. i dont know you so i shouldn't care, but i do.
i just think the opportunity for this to have very adverse affects on your life is far greater than for it to be everything you want it to be.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

It's alright. I wasn't offended by it so much as I was just trying to diffuse any arguing that might ensue. A lot of people stick to their views so adamantly and refuse to budge for reasons of pride more than because they actually believe deeply in what they're trying to say. I just assumed you were being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

And yeah, I'm not sure of what I want. I haven't had enough first-hand experience with life to know what I want out of it yet. But that's why I'm going to try this. I'm not throwing anything away; if I decide I don't enjoy the lifestyle then my grades and ACT scores should be enough to get me into any local college. I have other options. I don't plan on burning my social security card and driver's license just yet.

And to the person who called me a "kook" and told me to go away, it would be wonderful if you continued making funny comments and enlivening this otherwise dull conversation.
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bludklok »

wearymemory wrote: I THINK YOU'RE A FUCKING KOOK!

Go away.
Stating your opinion in a way that blatantly makes you look like a complete douche bag is no way to gain respect on these forums.

Anyways...
Wutai wrote:And yeah, I'm not sure of what I want. I haven't had enough first-hand experience with life to know what I want out of it yet. But that's why I'm going to try this. I'm not throwing anything away; if I decide I don't enjoy the lifestyle then my grades and ACT scores should be enough to get me into any local college.
I think you have this backwards. It would make more sense to complete your High School / College education and try living a 'normal' life and if your not satisfied you can go on your 'homeless adventure'. This whole decision is just a flat out bad idea to be thought of in the first place.
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Maybe. But I'd rather try it before I had a career and possibly a family that I'd have to abandon if I disliked a normal life. Fresh out of high school I'll have no obligations and plenty of possibilities. And plus, if I decided after I'd graduated college that it wasn't for me, that would be four years of my life and tens of thousands of dollars gone.
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

This reminds me of that movie Into the Wild. Good movie. The main character died.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Netwatcher »

There are actually plenty of articles and journal blogs about Homlessness by Choice, Google it and check 'em out before you decide to do something that dramatic that might ruin your life.
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

Bludklok wrote:
wearymemory wrote: I THINK YOU'RE A FUCKING KOOK!

Go away.
Stating your opinion in a way that blatantly makes you look like a complete douche bag is no way to gain respect on these forums.
My dog got on my computer and typed that when I was away. I swear!
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Into the Wild really was a good movie. I rented it and watched it and despite the main character's death I was still inspired by it. But it wasn't the catalyst for my decision. I just thought it was a good movie.
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

I don't know if this topic is dead yet, but I found this playlist on youtube that's a bit on topic. Obviously living in cities won't be this harsh, but I think you might learn something from it if you go through with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWpnLoN8 ... E8&index=0