Half-Blood Prince

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Half-Blood Prince

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

As I'm sure many of you know the sixth Harry Potter film is being released tonight at midnight. Sadly I'm not going to be able to catch it until Wednesday night. Whether you like the films or not, its hard to argue that this is not a pretty big and highly anticipated release. So, who's planning on catching this film? Thoughts?

Personally I am pretty excited. The first Harry Potter book was released when I was 7 so I really grew up with the series. I feel that the quality of the books went downhill with every release but the movies seem to be doing the opposite, just getting better and better.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Half-Blood Prince

Post by hurstshifter »

Kcirtap1990 wrote:
Personally I am pretty excited. The first Harry Potter book was released when I was 7 so I really grew up with the series. I feel that the quality of the books went downhill with every release but the movies seem to be doing the opposite, just getting better and better.
Ummm, whaaa?

I completely disagree. With the exception of the Half Blood prince I found that the books were more and more captivating each time. After The Goblet of Fire the overall layout of the books sort of changed from high school mystery series meets fantasy to a more serious tale of good vs. evil. I will be attending the midnight showing tonight for sure although I'm not expecting much out of this movie.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

I think the first four books were the most memorable for me, as I have a hard time remembering the last ones. I guess that's what the movies are for, though. I shall see it sooner or later, but probably not this week.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

I enjoyed every Harry Potter book minus the last one. Deathly Hallows sucked ass.

I will say that I thought HalfBlood Prince was my absolute favorite. I am sure looking forward to seeing this movie. The only thing that I'm concerned about is its PG rating (versus PG-13 of the rest). Halfblood Prince was the darkest of the books (minus 7, but it doesn't count), so I don't really see how they can have Snape killing Dumbledore and the rise of the death eaters being rated PG.

I'm worried that it's too far kiddy-ified.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

GyroVorbis wrote:I enjoyed every Harry Potter book minus the last one. Deathly Hallows sucked ass.

I will say that I thought HalfBlood Prince was my absolute favorite. I am sure looking forward to seeing this movie. The only thing that I'm concerned about is its PG rating (versus PG-13 of the rest). Halfblood Prince was the darkest of the books (minus 7, but it doesn't count), so I don't really see how they can have Snape killing Dumbledore and the rise of the death eaters being rated PG.

I'm worried that it's too far kiddy-ified.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!

Also, only the previous two movies were rated pg-13. The rest have been PG IIRC.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

hurstshifter wrote:SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!
Lmfao, you spoiled it for those who are too damn lazy to read the real story (which is a billion times better than the movies). :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

dandymcgee wrote: ...(which is a billion times better than the movies). :lol:

Agreed. Books are almost always > movies. Most of the time it can't translate 100% to the screen. There are exceptions to this of course. I actually really enjoy the Harry Potter films and have found most of them to be pretty accurate to the books. Order of the Phoenix and The Goblet of Fire let me down big time in terms of accuracy, but I still loved both films.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

hurstshifter wrote: Agreed. Books are almost always > movies. Most of the time it can't translate 100% to the screen. There are exceptions to this of course. I actually really enjoy the Harry Potter films and have found most of them to be pretty accurate to the books. Order of the Phoenix and The Goblet of Fire let me down big time in terms of accuracy, but I still loved both films.
I always get annoyed when I watch the first one because they took Professor Snape's potions challenge out of the dungeon just before the Sorcerer's Stone. :(
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

They generally do take a lot out for the films because they don't have enough time to show every detail.
This is why they are doing the 7th film in two parts, so they can fit all the important things from the 7th into it.

Also, one of my American friends says that all Americans thinks that Harry Potter is American and only filmed in England (which is complete crap) and I'm just wondering whether it's just him being stupid or Americans do actually think this.
I'll make your software hardware.
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

thejahooli wrote:They generally do take a lot out for the films because they don't have enough time to show every detail.
This is why they are doing the 7th film in two parts, so they can fit all the important things from the 7th into it.

Also, one of my American friends says that all Americans thinks that Harry Potter is American and only filmed in England (which is complete crap) and I'm just wondering whether it's just him being stupid or Americans do actually think this.
Saying all Americans, all English, all French, all anything, is just ignorant. Never generalize about a countries entire population.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

Saw it last night. It was much much better than I had expected. Lots of little details left out of the movie but they pretty much covered all of the main points and executed it well. Definitely one of my favorites in the series so far.
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

hurstshifter wrote:Saw it last night. It was much much better than I had expected. Lots of little details left out of the movie but they pretty much covered all of the main points and executed it well. Definitely one of my favorites in the series so far.
Very good news. I've heard really good things from critics but critical reviews can be very misleading. Its good to hear that normal fans are enjoying it. I plan to catch a show in a few hours, and if I enjoy it enough I also hope to be able to see it in IMAX in a few weeks.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Kcirtap1990 wrote:
thejahooli wrote: Also, one of my American friends says that all Americans thinks that Harry Potter is American and only filmed in England (which is complete crap) and I'm just wondering whether it's just him being stupid or Americans do actually think this.
Saying all Americans, all English, all French, all anything, is just ignorant. Never generalize about a countries entire population.
I agree. That's most definitely not true, because only Hugh Laurie could pick up another accent so perfectly as to trick me into thinking he was actually an American actor. Also anyone who remembers them choosing Daniel Radcliffe knows that he was English not American.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

dandymcgee wrote:
Kcirtap1990 wrote:
thejahooli wrote: Also, one of my American friends says that all Americans thinks that Harry Potter is American and only filmed in England (which is complete crap) and I'm just wondering whether it's just him being stupid or Americans do actually think this.
I agree. That's most definitely not true, because only Hugh Laurie could pick up another accent so perfectly as to trick me into thinking he was actually an American actor. Also anyone who remembers them choosing Daniel Radcliffe knows that he was English not American.

As far as I know, Rowling made it a requirement that all of the actors MUST be from Great Britain. No casting of American actors was done. I could be wrong but I remember reading this somewhere. This also applies to the students from the other schools in Goblet of Fire. The actors were actually Bulgarian/French if I'm not mistaken.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

It's just him being stupid.
Also, my fiance and I enjoyed the movie thoroughly, but maybe that's just because it's been too long since we read the book.

Further,
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.