Creating Dev-C++ Resource files

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Jaus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Creating Dev-C++ Resource files

Post by Jaus »

How would I link up resources/write out a resource file in dev-c++? I tried "google"ing this but I found poor results. Thanks in advance.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Creating Dev-C++ Resource files

Post by dandymcgee »

I've never used resource files. I don't even know what they're for. Anyone?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

They can be used for setting icons in your executables, and in Win32 API applications you can use them to build menus, now you know ;)

I used to use them in my old MinGW developers studio IDE (back in '06-'07), but I honestly can't remember doing anything special to import them, I always thought they just worked as long as they're in your project.

However, I did a little bit of googling, and DevC++ and resource were synonomous with problems realated to sorting resource scripts out.

i'll look up resources up in my old Win32 API - based game programming book, although it does an incredibly ass job of explaining how to use anything (not my best book by any measure!)

EDIT(sorta since I didn't push submit yet lol) : try searching for Win32 API and resource scripts, you're likely to find out at least how to add them, even if you have to sift through lots of Win32 API crap, just a thought.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Jaus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Jaus »

thanks I found a better workaround to the problem.