LittleBIGPlanet (PS3) Review

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

The game LittleBIGPlanet focuses on Sackboy who love to create things.
The whole point of the game is to go through and collect objects, along the way you learn of the evil guy (forgot his name lol) who is stealing all the creations from the LittleBIGPlanet.

LittleBIGPlanet offers a somewhat short Story line, but you can go back and solve all the hidden puzzle by yourself or up to 4 players for some challenges.
You can get things like costumes to wear on your Sackperson and give him the look you've always dreamed of!
But the game wouldn't be anything without the Create portion of the game.

The level editor in LittleBIGPlanet is EPOCH, and that's an understatement.
The tools provided in the level editor are so extensive you can LITERALLY re-create any Story level PERFECTLY to every detail if you wanted.
This is what makes the game absolutely one of the best games of this time and makes the games replay value limitless.

You can create a level and publish it for the world to see, and then you can play other people's levels too.
Give them a 1-5 star rating, comment, and rate them.
Many crazy things have been made with the level editor tools from epoch looking levels to inventions like calculators (no lie).

After you get used to making levels, you get better over time, the game really inspires you and brings out your creative side.
And even if you don't like creating stuff, you can always play the community levels and maybe get inspired some day to make your own.

Lots of DLC to be had here and loads of fun. New costumes and a MGS4 Level Pack that added the "Paintinator" Paint Gun!!!!11

If you have a PS3 and you don't have LittleBIGPlanet, you should definitely get this game.
Overall, I give it a 10 out of 10.
There's no place like ~/
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: LittleBIGPlanet (PS3) Review

Post by aamesxdavid »

This is one of the (many, actually) areas where I fully support Yahtzee, and his ideas on having a game almost solely rely on UGC.

Any good levels you might be able to find "are going to be buried under garbage, fiery penises, and countless reproductions of levels from Super Mario Brothers."

Just take a look at Spore. Most of the creative creatures were made to be either offensive or funny; it certainly didn't add gameplay value. Most UGC is completely self-indulgent, so if you don't like exactly what the person who made it likes, you're not going to enjoy it. It's more fun making your own levels that the rest of the world won't really care about, but the more in depth that gets, the more you might as well be making your own game. And while things like creating a calculator are impressive, they're really no fun to play, much less useful since every electronic device known to man now has a calculator in it.

All in all I feel that level creation is a distraction from the realization that you'd ideally like to be doing more than running a beanie baby across some platforms, but are too lazy/incompetent to do so.

That doesn't apply to most people here obviously, seeing as how many do in fact make their own games, but that's the point. In the amount of time you'd spend making an actually good level, you could have made even more progress on something truly of your own creation, and you would have to pay $60 to do so. That being said, LBP is an impressive physics engine, some nice graphics, and great co-op in an empty shell. The technology is there, but the creative side to actually do something with it is lackluster. If they had just released it as LittleBigEngine and allowed imported objects and scripting, I'd have a lot more respect for it.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

You should try the game first before making such a big statement about it.
However, I do understand what you're saying.

LittleBIGPlanet offers something that not many other games offer when it comes to level editors.
It combines easy usage with total control to give you the best level editor possible for the game, and for most level editors in general.

And the whole point of having the creative element in LittleBIGPlanet is to get people interested in game development in a sense.
You could be spending time on making your own game, but some people aren't cut out for real game design.

The $60 it's worth is worth it because of all the stuff that's in there, and the levels are actually getting better as time goes on.
You rarely find a level that you absolutely hate, and that number is starting to go down too.

While it's no engine, the tools you can use are almost limitless... you essentially have a visual representation of a scripting language if you wanna look at it that way.
You can trigger a series of events using switches and timers that you make with pistons and all kinds of stuff.
You can use stuff like logic gates like AND, OR, XOR, and others.
Using pistons and key switches you can create a binary system if you want, I once created a binary clock.
So with all this functionality, it's like having a scripting language for LittleBIGPlanet in a way, not completely, but in a sense.

And the fact that you can "mold" your own objects and create contraptions like vehicles out of materials in the game is close to importing your own objects.
While you can't use your own models and textures, you can get pretty close to making something similar.
There's no place like ~/
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

This game really looks awsome. unfortunally i dosent have a PS3, but if i had one i would get this game!
Image ImageImage Image
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

ismetteren wrote:This game really looks awsome. unfortunally i dosent have a PS3, but if i had one i would get this game!
You need to get one.
PS3 offers more than any console out there.
There's no place like ~/
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

LeonBlade wrote:
ismetteren wrote:This game really looks awsome. unfortunally i dosent have a PS3, but if i had one i would get this game!
You need to get one.

That's what your mom said.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

MarauderIIC wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:
You need to get one.

That's what your mom said.
How did you know that... ARE YOU SPYING ON ME AND MY FAMILY???
There's no place like ~/
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

As soon as I get my hands on a PlayStation 3, I'm going to buy that game alongside Resident Evil 5.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Yeah, and turtles live in the ocean :roll:
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

eatcomics wrote:Yeah, and turtles live in the ocean :roll:
You mean Sea Turtles?
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

wtetzner wrote:
You mean Sea Turtles?
Ummm... Sure why not???
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Lol fail attempt at a... whatever that was lol.
There's no place like ~/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

LeonBlade wrote:
Lol fail attempt at a... whatever that was lol.
That my dear friend is virtual sarcasm...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Kendall just bought a PS3, LittleBIGPlanet, and Dead something. We played LBP until pretty late last night. It's the first PS3 game that I have really sat down and played.

I've been enjoying it so far, but I don't see myself rumaging through hundreds of downloadable levels looking for something remotely fun or spending 100+ hours creating my own.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Those kind of things tend to be more of a "download your buddy's level" kind of thing.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.