Some Confusion

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Some Confusion

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

To sort out some confusion I am having with my research, I have some questions about Python, BASIC, and C++.

First off, I hear that Python is very similar to C++ and easier to learn making it a good place to start off for beginners who want to make the transition to C++. Can anyone varify this?

Also, I heard that BASIC is pretty much an outdated language so is it worth learning and what is it used for?

And lastly, i'm researching different C++ compilers (for Windows) to get. I've found ones such as Borland C++, C++ Builer, MS Visual C++ and Intel C++. Will it really make a difference which one I choose? Thank you :)
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Some Confusion

Post by avansc »

1. python is nothing like C.

2. i wouldent learn basic, but there are still jobs in it, also if you know basic, you know VB. for the most part. there are many jobs in VB.

3. VS and borland bulder arent compilers. they are IDE. but they use compilers. all MS products use the cl.exe ans some derivitives of it. but its pretty much just the microsofts C/C++ compiler. i like borland compilers, ranging from asm to C++.

it wont really make that much difference. i would choose one that has the largest community for support.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Language is really up to you, but if you go c++ I would suggest dev-c++, borland, or code::blocks...
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Three things:

1) Python is written is pure C; hence there are syntactical similarities, but the two languages are intrinsically very different.

2) VB sucks ballz.

3) When it comes to C/C++ you should only need to learn two compilers, GNU compiler collection, and MSVC++.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

Cool guys, thanks. I've been wondering about that stuff. So sorting out the whole Python and BASIC dilemma, the quest for a good C++ compiler continues. I like the fact that both Borland and MS VC++ are both IDE's and not just compilers. Now which one to start off with? Well, I want to find the one that will more easily work with Flash to make games playable using that. If that's possible, I would think that's the way to go.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

BlueMonkey5 wrote: I like the fact that both Borland and MS VC++ are both IDE's and not just compilers.
That is implying that they are IDEs AND compilers. I believe they are both ONLY IDEs that generally come with their respectable compilers. Personally I prefer Code::Blocks with the MinGW compiler (available for download bundled together on the codeblocks site).
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:Cool guys, thanks. I've been wondering about that stuff. So sorting out the whole Python and BASIC dilemma, the quest for a good C++ compiler continues. I like the fact that both Borland and MS VC++ are both IDE's and not just compilers. Now which one to start off with? Well, I want to find the one that will more easily work with Flash to make games playable using that. If that's possible, I would think that's the way to go.
I would suggest going with MS VC++ - it has some very good features, like a debugger and a good autocomplete system. Also, MS VC++ is an ongoing project which receives ongoing support and updates. Many people here seem to recommend going for Dev-Cpp - which is a dead project and is not updated anymore, yes, it's a little bit easier at the very begging, but you will find out very fast that it is hard to find error's with it's little debugger.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

kostiak2 wrote: Many people here seem to recommend going for Dev-Cpp - which is a dead project and is not updated anymore, yes, it's a little bit easier at the very begging, but you will find out very fast that it is hard to find error's with it's little debugger.
I haven't seen many people that have done much more with Dev-C++ than try it out. It was the first IDE I used and it was alright, but I most definitely prefer Code::Blocks over it. You're right about it being dead, and support for it is dying out.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I would go with Visual C++ for the same reasons. Its so much better when you figure out how to redist. Although I found a problem with the redist by changing it to MT. If you want to use SDL it needs to be MD.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

sparda wrote:Three things:
2) VB sucks ballz.
there is nothing wrong with VB, you could not utilize 5 percent of VB's potential.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

avansc wrote:
2) VB sucks ballz.
there is nothing wrong with VB, you could not utilize 5 percent of VB's potential.
I think what he's saying is that it is very high level and Windows-dependant, both of which are down points when compared to C++. ;) He just decided to say it in a more severe way.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

herby490 wrote:I would go with Visual C++ for the same reasons. Its so much better when you figure out how to redist. Although I found a problem with the redist by changing it to MT. If you want to use SDL it needs to be MD.
whats "MD" ans "MT" mean?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Ginto8 wrote:
avansc wrote:
2) VB sucks ballz.
I think what he's saying is that it is very high level and Windows-dependant, both of which are down points when compared to C++. ;) He just decided to say it in a more severe way.
anything you can do in C++ you can do in VB, and most likely just as easy.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

avansc wrote: anything you can do in C++ you can do in VB, and most likely just as easy.
If by "you" you mean "one", then possibly. If by "you" you mean the reader of your post (myself) then you are very very wrong. I have been using both quite extensively over the past year, and I would have to say that just about anything that doesn't have to do with a simple event-driven Win32 GUI can be done far easier and much more efficiently in C++ than in VB, although obviously the learning curve for doing it in C++ is steeper.