3D Vector vs. 1D Vector with index algorithm

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: 3D Vector vs. 1D Vector with index algorithm

Post by Falco Girgis »

anothrguitarist wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote: anothrguitarist, you sure that you aren't just talking about the default vector size on Dreamcast being pretty small? (I know that you're active in the DC scene, like me)
I was making a mistake. :)

Must've been the wine.

EDIT: By the way, I oughtta tell you the story of why I started hanging out around here, but alas, I don't have the time.
I would love to hear. I found your VRAM topic especially helpful (I'm looking into BA's proposed "fast as shit" DMA transfers).
LuciDreamTheater
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: 3D Vector vs. 1D Vector with index algorithm

Post by LuciDreamTheater »

Well, I'm sitting in the lab with no one to tutor, so I'll share my story:

I'd been wanting to get into Dreamcast development for a long time, but I didn't think I had the skill set. Plus, I was unaware of the availability of KallistiOS, which is the only tool that makes development feasible. At first, I found an old snapshot on Dan Potter's website, which didn't work for me, so building the toolchain was out of reach for a while. I decided to share my distress on Gamedev.net and was referred to dcemulation. At that point, things changed. I was a big noob at the time, so I had to have some hand holding in the beginning (it wasn't long ago). I actually noticed you on their forums when I was searching for a command to burn a disc with cdrtools. The pajamas were unmistakable.

Fast forward six months: like a sailor in a storm, I was trapped in the youtube vortex, viewing random videos. Interested in seeing how other people develop games, I stumbled upon the Adventures in Game Development series. I looked at the your user name, "GyroVorbis," and thought to myself, "Shit. He's youtube famous." I watched several but didn't pick up on your website until later. I left the vortex, trying to regain my humanity once again. The experience soon turned into a forgotten memory...

That is, it was forgotten until someone on gamedev mentioned your rivals (I forget their name, which must demonstrate the effectiveness of their marketing campaign 8-)). "Oh the drama!" I felt the need to represent DC developers by joining your community. Thus marked the advent of my membership here, in The Chaos Rift.

GyroVorbis wrote:
anothrguitarist wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
(I'm looking into BA's proposed "fast as shit" DMA transfers).
Let me know how that turns out. Of the solutions that were suggested, the "fast as shit" DMA transfers was one of the most appealing, although BlueCrab wasn't very specific.