How Long Did it Take You...

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

How Long Did it Take You...

Post by XianForce »

To make your first game? Like from when you actually started Coding it, until that moment when you were SO damn excited, and then later look at it and say its crap? How hard was it?

Just a question (This WOULD be the right forum, correct?)

Reason I'm asking is cause as I've been going through these SDL tutorials...they make sense, but it just seems insane and mind blowing, the amount of time it would take to actually make a game with this...previous experience for me has been much easier libs...so it seems way out there, but its fun/cool/nerdy/whatever you wanna call it =)
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: How Long Did it Take You...

Post by trufun202 »

XianForce wrote:To make your first game? Like from when you actually started Coding it, until that moment when you were SO damn excited, and then later look at it and say its crap? How hard was it?

Just a question (This WOULD be the right forum, correct?)

Reason I'm asking is cause as I've been going through these SDL tutorials...they make sense, but it just seems insane and mind blowing, the amount of time it would take to actually make a game with this...previous experience for me has been much easier libs...so it seems way out there, but its fun/cool/nerdy/whatever you wanna call it =)
The answer to all of your questions is...it depends. It depends on the complexity and depth of the game. You can knock out a Pong clone in an hour, assuming you have the programming knowledge to do so. One of my first games was a Frogger clone, and I think I spent 2 or 3 weeks on it. On the other hand, I developed a puzzle game that took me nearly a year - because of the different modes of play and the storyline.

Golvellius, my current project, was started back in May and its far from being a game that you'd wanna play.

My advice would be to learn and understand the fundamentals of programming. Then go play some old 2D games and ask yourself, "How would I code this?", "How would I make this character jump?", "How would I make this item appear?", etc.. Over time you'll start to figure stuff out.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

haha, yeah I've thought about things like that before, and I've made a few things with a DS lib, PAlib...but PAlib was real simple...this is my first attempt at something...complex? I guess. It makes sense, it just seems to be remembering all the parameters for different built in functions.
LuciDreamTheater
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by LuciDreamTheater »

It's been so long that I don't remember, but it couldn't have been more than a month. In my first programming class, we were given an open-ended assignment as our final project. I chose to do Pong, and when I was working on it, I programmed furiously. To say the least, I was passionate about my first game. As for when I realized it was bad code, it took a long time -- years.

(If text games are included, then I finished Guess the Number and Black Jack before Pong. They didn't take more than two days, at most. Even further back, I worked with RPG Maker 95, but I didn't ever finish anything with it.)
systat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by systat »

It took me 2-3 years.

But I never had anyone to teach me I learned it by myself.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

To answer the question...Uh, lessee...

One-hundred sixty-two million, seven-hundred and forty seven thousand, one-hundred seventy four seconds as of 6 minutes and 39 seconds ago...? :roll:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Arce wrote:To answer the question...Uh, lessee...

One-hundred sixty-two million, seven-hundred and forty seven thousand, one-hundred seventy four seconds as of 6 minutes and 39 seconds ago...? :roll:
Um lets see

172,747,174 secs / 60 = 2,879,119.56666 (repeating) mins
2,879,120 (rounded up) mins / 60 = 47,985.3261111 (repeating) hours
47,985 hours / 24 = 1,999.879 days
1,999 / 365 = 5.47 years

It took you 5.47 years to create your first game? And to figure out that you are 18, probably almost 19, so 19 - 5.47 = 13.53 years old.

So you started making your first game when you were 13.53 years old? haha
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

*cough* he's 17 (according to the 'team' page anyway)

also 12/13/14 isn't that ridiculous, I started to consider learning C++ when I was 14 (but the real magic didn't happen till I was 15 ;), but I wanted to do something when I was much younger, I just didn't have the 'know how' back then )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

programmerinprogress wrote:*cough* he's 17 (according to the 'team' page anyway)

also 12/13/14 isn't that ridiculous, I started to consider learning C++ when I was 14 (but the real magic didn't happen till I was 15 ;), but I wanted to do something when I was much younger, I just didn't have the 'know how' back then )
:| I started learning HTML when I was 9... :lol: And I did some basic Java stuff when I was 11, and then a bit before I turned 12 I began programming in C++.

I guess that makes me a freak? o.0
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

programmerinprogress wrote:...but the real magic didn't happen till I was 15 ;)...
Ahh yes... puberty...
There's no place like ~/
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

LeonBlade wrote:
programmerinprogress wrote:...but the real magic didn't happen till I was 15 ;)...
Ahh yes... puberty...
HAHA damn you got to it before i could... Man PIP i feel sorry for you, you had to wait till 15 for the real magic huh? Lol jk jk
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

No time for this Aeolus... lol
There's no place like ~/
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Aeolus wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:
Ahh yes... puberty...
HAHA damn you got to it before i could... Man PIP i feel sorry for you, you had to wait till 15 for the real magic huh? Lol jk jk
^phone post?
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

trufun202 wrote:Golvellius, my current project, was started back in May and its far from being a game that you'd wanna play.
I beg to differ.. but I got the point ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
systat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by systat »

It took me couple of years, I am not sure how much, because in a process of learning I lost my mental health and social life, ROFLMAO