OpenGL Vs SW Rendering with SDL

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

cloudncali
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Random stuff
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

OpenGL Vs SW Rendering with SDL

Post by cloudncali »

OK so here is my problem, i have been using SDL for ages now, and i love it, but every time i try to get it to work with openGL i crash and burn. So I'm going to try again and was wondering, is it even worth it for 2d. Dose any one know of stuff you can do with openGL that you cant do with Standard SDL?

if so then can some one point me in the right direction for SDL+OpenGL?

If not then i will stick to standard SDL?

Thanks,
-Cloudncali
Come visit my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/cloudncali
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: OpenGL Vs SW Rendering with SDL

Post by Ginto8 »

For 2D games, the main thing that OGL gives you is the z coordinate. This allows you to easily have things overlap. However, this can be done with SDL if you add extra layers. All that must be done then is to have them be drawn bottom first, then up and up until the top layer.

However, OGL has much more power than SDL. Exactly how much and in which ways, I'm not sure. I've never used OGL. However, the extra power means that it must be lower-level, and thus harder to use.

In my opinion, sticking to SDL for your actual projects would probably be a good idea. Learn OGL on the side, and once you understand and know how to use it, try it. If you like it, then keep going. From then on, it shouldn't be too hard. :)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64

Post by rolland »

If you want to start learning OpenGL, NeHe has some new tutorials which use SDL as a base. http://nehe.gamedev.net/wiki/NewLessons.ashx
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
cloudncali
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Random stuff
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by cloudncali »

ok well i just had a break trough with OpenGL, thanks for the support guys :) . also i rememberd that SDLs alpha blending system is really slow, so that might be a perk with openGL.
Come visit my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/cloudncali