Irrlicht: Any good?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

cloudncali
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Random stuff
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Irrlicht: Any good?

Post by cloudncali »

Hello all,
This is my first post here so first off, hello!
now on to business i am thinking about using the Irrlicht engine to make games. From what the website says it seems to good to be true, so i was wondering if any one here has used it and could tell me there opinion on the engine,

Thank you,
cloudncali
PS: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/
Come visit my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/cloudncali
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: Irrlicht: Any good?

Post by Ginto8 »

Before you start talking about 3D stuff, let me ask you this: have you done any 2D? Even if you use an engine, it's a lot better to start off with 2D. If you jump into 3D you'll be more confused than an elephant that just got catapulted into outer space. ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
cloudncali
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Random stuff
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by cloudncali »

oh i have done a lot of 2d, I have used SDL for about 2+ years now. so yes, i have done 2d, im not sure if i want to go to 3d atm though.
Come visit my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/cloudncali
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

For ease, use an engine. I've heard Ogre3D is good. However, with an engine you have less fine-tuned control.

For more power and control, use a library. OpenGL is the only one that I know about. It is harder to use, but it is included in SDL and gives you almost total control over your game.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

OpenGL is not included in SDL. SDL has OpenGL support, but the OGL API is not a part of SDL.

You can use something like GLUT instead of SDL with OpenGL.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

So, for the OP, does anyone actually know if Irrlicht is any good?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:OpenGL is not included in SDL. SDL has OpenGL support, but the OGL API is not a part of SDL.

You can use something like GLUT instead of SDL with OpenGL.
Then what is SDL_opengl doing in the SDL library?
Ciidian
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Ciidian »

SDL has support for the OpenGL library, it does not include it with the SDL library. (You must include the OpenGL library to use it in SDL)
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

:oops: Looks like I've been school'd again... Thanks for correcting my ignorance. :)
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Dang, ginto, you're learning a lot lately [with how often you've been schooled] :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

Yeah, and I'm lovin' it each time. :) This is a completely awesome community with a lot of helpful, competent people willing to help inexperienced people like me. ;)
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Ginto8 wrote::oops: Looks like I've been school'd again... Thanks for correcting my ignorance. :)
Lol that happens like everyday, i love watching. But hey if ginto says it, people correct it, we learn. Way to go ginto, your not only teaching yourself, your teaching me.
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

No problem. :) I always found looking at other people's work, questions and answers a great way to learn. Helping other people learn just makes my own learning experience even better. I'm glad you can learn from my mistakes! ;)
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Hey thats how i learned in High school as well. If i didnt get something, i would wait until someone else asked the same dumb question that i wanted to say but making them look like a retard. Then i would write down the answer lol.
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.