Mirror's Edge

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Mirror's Edge

Post by Moosader »

I rented it from blockbuster so I have it until Saturday. First impressions are that it makes me want to play Prince of Persia instead, and that the cutscenes makes it look like an eSurance commercial. D:

I'm a big fan of platformers, but I really dislike first person games on console. Maybe I'll buy it on Steam when I have extra cash, I'd probably enjoy it a whole lot more then. I don't get the new fangled analog stick games, it just doesn't work for me.
The rolling view (disorienting) and looking-at-walls-close-up thing are a bit annoying too. Will post more when I actually play more.

I do like the game's style, otherwise. I don't think anyone has said they dislike it. It's very refreshing to see something not-grey-and-brown.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Mirror's Edge

Post by Andy K. »

LusikkaMage wrote:I rented it from blockbuster so I have it until Saturday. First impressions are that it makes me want to play Prince of Persia instead, and that the cutscenes makes it look like an eSurance commercial. D:

I'm a big fan of platformers, but I really dislike first person games on console. Maybe I'll buy it on Steam when I have extra cash, I'd probably enjoy it a whole lot more then. I don't get the new fangled analog stick games, it just doesn't work for me.
The rolling view (disorienting) and looking-at-walls-close-up thing are a bit annoying too. Will post more when I actually play more.

I do like the game's style, otherwise. I don't think anyone has said they dislike it. It's very refreshing to see something not-grey-and-brown.
You won't be buying it on Steam anytime soon. The PC version is planned to come out until March or something. Mirror's Edge is pretty cool, though. It's a shame it's only an 8 hour game. I haven't bought it yet because of that reason. I'll just wait till it drops in price first. :roll:
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I'm no good at analog aiming either. I played the demo. But I wouldn't buy it.

BTW, Andy K. Is there really any reason for quoting Lusikka's entire post?
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

JS Lemming wrote: BTW, Andy K. Is there really any reason for quoting Lusikka's entire post?
Because I can. :lol:
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

Andy K. wrote:
LusikkaMage wrote:I rented it from blockbuster so I have it until Saturday. First impressions are that it makes me want to play Prince of Persia instead, and that the cutscenes makes it look like an eSurance commercial. D:

You won't be buying it on Steam anytime soon. The PC version is planned to come out until March or something. Mirror's Edge is pretty cool, though. It's a shame it's only an 8 hour game. I haven't bought it yet because of that reason. I'll just wait till it drops in price first. :roll:

Steam says January 2009.

I can wait.

Especially since I have no money.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Mirror\'s Edge

Post by Trask »

I loved the demo on my 360, it was refreshing and its been awhile since I\'ve played a unique game like this. I can see how I\'d want to throw the controller across the room(damn wireless technology!) as old school jumping games I tended to suck at, but I had a blast with the demo. I can see some faults, but I\'m going to try it on the PC and see if it controls better, though I don\'t think it had bad controls with the Xbox 360. I\'m looking forward to this unqiue game and I heard it was coming out in January as well via IGN and Joystiq.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I read that someone was unhappy with constant random streams of police. Like "and... why are they there, again?"-ish
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

LusikkaMage wrote:
Andy K. wrote:

Steam says January 2009.

I can wait.

Especially since I have no money.
ooh neat, this makes Andy happy. =)
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

MarauderIIC wrote:I read that someone was unhappy with constant random streams of police. Like "and... why are they there, again?"-ish
Yahtzee definitely did not like the game
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... rrors-Edge
And yeah, too many cops. I'd prefer it to be either all free running puzzles (mmh... kreedz climbing maps).
The game itself reminds me a little of when I was playing portal, but at least portal knew turret placement. :D

Its also really annoying how you have to redo quite a bit sometimes because the battles are so difficult for the wrong reasons-- six guys, you're required to kill them because they're red, and they all have armor and shotguns.

The game is also pretty glitchy. Hopefully the PC version will have fixes (if not, hopefully they're diligent enough to patch it)

It doesn't really make sense that a parkour game is linear-- SINCE WHEN TO PEOPLE INTO PARKOUR LIKE LINEARITY? It's so counter-intuitive. The storyline could be nonlinear, even, with the transporting of the stuff, but it's so painfully linear.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

Yahtzee... I really hate that fucker. But I hate that fucker so good, because me makes me laugh every. single. time. XD

And then he added more bloom anyway, and then ate his shoes!
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I have it for the 360, it's not bad IMO, but I don't love it, it's not one of those games I could play straight for hours, falling off the buildings really pisses me off!

I know it probably wouldn't work on this game, but a quality soundtrack would have been nice too.

The funniest thing that happens when I play this game is I think "I fancy playing some DOOM" :lol:

PS: First person games are definitely best on the PC, the mouse is the best control for first person, sometimes you need precision that the stick doesn't give you...unfortunately my PC is cream crackered, and this laptop isn't up to the job of playing anything decent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P