XNA developer question

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

XNA developer question

Post by sparda »

I wanted to know if Microsoft has some type of binding prerequisite within the XNA developer EULA. I've recently read all things Steamwork (from Valve), the online digital distribution system offered for free by Valve, thankfully they don't bind in their platform. I'm kinda tired, so I was hoping someone knew if XNA's license limits a developer from, say, distributing outside of the live market place? I plan to use both of these services in the near future for distribution, so I wouldn't want any license clashes. In any case, I'll soon read the legalities concerning XNA (maybe tomorrow), but I was hoping one of you guys knew about this binding issue specifically.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: XNA developer question

Post by Trask »

I didn't think that they do much in terms of restricting what additional platforms you release your product on, I think they're more concerned with what you do on XNA specifically, though I haven't looked into this since they first released XNA tools.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: XNA developer question

Post by sparda »

I didn't think that they do much in terms of restricting what additional platforms you release your product on, I think they're more concerned with what you do on XNA specifically, though I haven't looked into this since they first released XNA tools.
I got done reading their EULA, and you're right, the XNA platform is more concerned with what you put on there, and they don't bind either.