Adventures in Game Development

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Adventures in Game Development

Post by Arce »

After the project:

Marauder plans to strike it rich in the coal mining industry.

Peter will continue to be a redneck.

Gyro will get laid a few times too many, catch aides, then die.

Kleithap plans to be the next dot com millionaire, and will naturally be assassinated by google supremacists.

Chris, successful pimp business (male prostitutes).

Jools will join up with Jfail to create the betterst bestest goodest muy absolutely beautifulest sprite ever.

Cypher, after becoming a radio show host, will be silenced by some douchebag blinded by a new founded Bolshevik revolutions whilst trying to leak vital truths to the media.

And me...I'll like through the anthrax. It'll be aight.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Haha.. Why would you tell all that.. It was supposed to be a surprise. Marcel.. You ruin everything..

;)
Slacker
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Slacker »

Arce wrote:And me...I'll like through the anthrax. It'll be aight.
What the hell are you talking about!? ;) anthrax noodles are awesome, a'ight!
~Slacker
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Lmao.. there's some motivation to keep your asses busy. You wouldn't want Gyro's AIDS to progress too quickly would you?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Net-Ninjs
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Net-Ninjs »

All I'm saying it cant help to plan ahead. After i get my degree of game programming I'm thinking of moving to the UK, but there are a few good studios in sweden aswell (dice, starbreeze). Chanses are though I'll be working for some minor company somewhere.

So after you all get you degrees will you try to find a job at a game studio somewhere?
Many dream, few try.
Arce

Post by Arce »

All I'm saying it cant help to plan ahead.
Though I'm pretty confident you mean "can't hurt", I agree with your original statement. :mrgreen:

'Planning ahead' and looking towards new projects is simply the best way to kill your current one. Period.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

In an attempt to further improve our entertainment/educational value and prevent our videos from slipping into sub-parity:

I'm wondering what everybody's favorite chapter was and why.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:In an attempt to further improve our entertainment/educational value and prevent our videos from slipping into sub-parity:

I'm wondering what everybody's favorite chapter was and why.
I've got two favorite episodes:

Falco's Game Development Marathon: Day 2 - Watching this video, I finally had my "ah-ha" moment with Lua. I knew that games could leverage scripting languages, but it didn't really click until you used screen cap to walk through it and explain what's handled by the engine vs. what's handled by Lua. I was inspired and started researching Lua as soon as the vid was over.

Adventures in Game Development Chapter 7 Part 1 - The 1-on-1 interviews are awesome. I like hearing everyone's agenda and seeing how you guys plan to bring your work together. Follow-up interviews, after the dev session, would be cool too - to sum up what did and didn't get done.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Thanks, that was very helpful input.

If you guys haven't noticed, I constantly experiment with new ways of presenting things. Maybe it makes us even less professional, but oh well. I'm trying to look back and see what worked and didn't work. Anybody else have a favorite?

As the editor, I'm extremely biased. My favorite episode is always our newest one, so I am currently favoring 14.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Favorites: 5, 6, 7, 8, (8.5), 12, 13, 14

Dislikes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11
Slacker
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Slacker »

Can't go back through the chapters right now, but I can tell you what I liked about them.

I like it when you guys show off different parts of the code, or how things work and what not. All the serious background deving that happens.

I also enjoy watching your guy's crazy antics, two in particular that I remember is setting Marcel's wallpaper to goatsee or something and when Peter and Marcel were having scripting battles, taking over each others computer, that was pretty entertaining.
~Slacker
StealthAsimov
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by StealthAsimov »

I really like the interviews of what task each person are assigned to the upcoming iteration and when u are following up each other's progress. I also like when u guys show off results of how much the game engine, level editor and the lua scripts has been developed so far and what u plan to develope.

I do want more "punishment" involved, someone always manage to "screw things up"/" didn't get the shit done".
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I liked quite a few things in your videos.

I like the humor that goes into it (such as the challenge you set peter, to crash the editor, and then drink some of that sauce when he lost, that was good :) )
But I also really like your 'whiteboard' scenes where you write down a bit of the code and discuss how it works (or doesn't :lol: )
I liked the interviews as well, you can't go wrong with them (again comedy prevailed, and I liked the 'calculus ends all questions' one the best)

I think the most important thing is, your team seems to work well together, and the videos feel very honest, and natural, there's no insecurity there, you're just a couple of guys, working on a game, and having fun doing it!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

programmerinprogress wrote:I think the most important thing is, your team seems to work well together, and the videos feel very honest, and natural, there's no insecurity there, you're just a couple of guys, working on a game, and having fun doing it!
agreed.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Yea I also agree with programmerinprogress. I love everything you've done in your videos, and the fact that you just seem like you're enjoying yourselves while at the same time trying to be helpful. Falco, as far as changing the methods you use in your videos making you look unprofessional, I don't think that's the case at all. That's another thing that makes me always want to watch the next video, it's always something completely new and unexpected, while staying on the subject we all love.. programming and game development.
StealthAsimov wrote:and what u plan to develope.
I'm glad to know there's at least one other person in the world who can't stand seeing the word "develop" without an e at the end. That word always throws me off, even though the pronunciation clearly doesn't call for an e.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: