Atheism

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Where do you stand religiously?

Christianity
25%
Atheism
54%
Agnostic
8%
Hamm Sammich (other)
13%

Total votes: 24

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Atheism

Post by Arce »

We're pretty much all, aren't we? Not.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Blow me.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

I try not to think about religion too much
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
asams
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by asams »

what does agnostic mean?
Arce

Post by Arce »

Agnostic

Main Entry:
1ag·nos·tic Listen to the pronunciation of 1agnostic
Pronunciation:
\ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Greek agnōstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know — more at know
Date:

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god2: a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

2: a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

John Carmack is my god.

Aka I'm Atheist.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

I believe that man can stand for Love ONLY without the fear (of supreme sanctifier in this case). Fear leads to the dark side.. Remember what happened to Anakin.?

I'm not saying "you should not believe in God". What I say is: If you believe in God only in fear of consequences, then thou art screwed..
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64

People Say Dumb Things

Post by rolland »

I've heard people say that one's probably the same religion as one's family. I find this extremely dumb. My grandfather and uncle are both Nazarene Christian (I think that's what it's called) pastors, and yet I'm an atheist. Some people just say dumb things sometimes.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

seeing as how i now know waht agnostic means i changed my mind from other (still like ham sammich though) to agnostic...
Willshire The Mad
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Some basic flash projects for school
Favorite Gaming Platforms: X-Box 360 for now

Re: Atheism

Post by Willshire The Mad »

The Ham knows all. Thou must bow to the all Powerful SAMMACH!
I overall just dont really care. If there is a god woot gewd for you the athiests were just proven wright, if there is no got woo good for you the non-athiests were proven wrong. It dosnt effect my life either way.
Spork
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

So what do peoples' upbringings look like?

My biological dad is mormon, and my mother is an atheist, though they divorced before I was even a year old.

My stepdad believes that aliens mutated monkey DNA so that we could investigate the surface of the earth because the aliens can't breathe oxygen. We won't be allowed to travel through space until we get rid of all greed. Otherwise, the aliens will "continue" to suppress us. :P

Lo and behold, I've always been an atheist. My mom never told me what I could or could not believe, and she told me they'd love me no matter what I'd believe. Pretty much the only exposure I recall is just her teaching my sister and I about evolution when we were homeschooled. (Yes, homeschooled atheists. Most homeschoolers meet kids at church, we had essentially no outlet for socialization. Homeschooler classes for things the moms can't teach were full of fundamentalist christian kids who would judge us with no real reason to back it up).

The only way I can even conceptualize the existence of a god is to think about how I create software, and yet I am not software, I am something outside of it. Still, though, it doesn't seem likely to me that one would exist. And if a god does exist, then it's certainly not any god of any religion.
Maybe the founding fathers had it closest-- deism. A creator god, but that's all. He has no concern in our daily lives, he just creates the structure of life and laws of physics.
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Ha! Lets not get into upbringings, as I sure as hell had a very, very dysfunctional one :mrgreen: . Although, I probably wouldn't be a programmer now if it didn't happen that way. Mostly because I need to be alone, and I find comfort in solitude, so a happy upbringing would have probably resulted in me being much more social and I'd be into something like... oh, I don't know, say sports? Hell no, fuck that. I can never see myself as anything aside from a programmer. Well, maybe a professional artist who does programming as a hobby, but thats a BIG maybe.

Aside from the above tangent, I think people are born leaning either on atheism or theism (from a biological standpoint). Upbringings, then, would dictate if you become one or the other, depending on experience and how you consequently see the world. i.e., in the case of innocent children dying, for instance:

On one side: God exists. The reason for innocent children dying can be explained through the Holy text; God has a plan for all of us.

On the other: how can god exist, if millions of innocent children die everyday for no goddamn reason, fuck that whole notion of: "god has a plan for all of us." There is no excuse for innocent children dying period; if there is a god that is.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

What about agnostics, like me? :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

MarauderIIC wrote:What about agnostics, like me? :)
Answer these questions truthfuly:
* Do you believe in God, why or why not?
* Do you believe in leprechauns, why or why not?

The only difference is the stakes are higher.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

JS Lemming wrote:
MarauderIIC wrote:What about agnostics, like me? :)
Answer these questions truthfuly:
* Do you believe in God, why or why not?
* Do you believe in leprechauns, why or why not?

The only difference is the stakes are higher.
* Sometimes. The fact that lots of other people in lots of different cultures do in lots of different ways has influenced this.
* No. There aren't any major religions based on leprechauns, and I don't believe in them enough to start one.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.