Japanese Wii vs. Ps3 Poll

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

skywalker541
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Japanese Wii vs. Ps3 Poll

Post by skywalker541 »

Popularity of consoles according to this poll:

PS3 - 17%

Wii - 73%

Neither - 10%

http://www.about.joystiq.com/2006/07/13 ... mparisons/

It looks to me like the PS3 is going to fail miserably everywhere. Admittedly the 360 is doing pretty terribly in japan, but it continues to sell well everywhere else. However most people i've talk to recently are put off by the rediculous price of the PS3 and it's games which could be anywhere between 60$ to 100$. I really doubt most people will pick up a PS3 this christmas when they could buy the Wii and 360 for the price of the PS3. Especially since the 360 will have an extremely well established game library by that time, which includes games like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Too Human, Ninety-Nine Nights, Dead Rising, Blue Dragon, Huxley and Lost Planet. All the PS3 will have is WarHawk which looks to me like just another mediocre flying game.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

I honestly thought the PS3 would be widely anticipated.

Innoativity wins again though.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

SPIDEY IS BACK? WHAT THE HELL MAN? WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?

I'm not really going to lean towards any poll right now. The same shit happened (unfortunately) with Dreamcast. Google Dreamcast vs. PS2. Not a single person/webpage supported PS2, and everybody predicted that it would get its ass handed to it by Dreamcast.

The mighty Sony empire held up though, and the PS2 as the shittiest hardware with the highest price reigned supreme yet again.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

1) The Revolution, and hell nintendo in general has always been massively more popular than the Sony franchises. Nintendo has been a household name in Japan before you were born and then some.
2) Putting the Revolution against the PS3, I'd sure as hell go with the Revolution if it came down to it. But I'd also get a PS3. This "poll" doesn't allow people to choose if they'd get one over the other. To be honest, at less than half the price of a PS3, I'd call anyone crazy for not saying Revolution first.
3) "BLAH BLAH BLAH SONY SUCKS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" Yeah, we know, we get it, you'll do anything you can including put a stupid and see-through spin on an article that comes from a decidedly anti-PS3 publication (all the Engadget spinoffs are extremely pro-Mac, anti-PC, pro-Revolution, anti-360 anti-PS3, pro DS, anti-PSP publications. If you read them at all you'd know this) all in the name of "one-upping" a console that hasn't even been released yet.

The sad part is you feel somehow inferior from the PS3, it's obvious otherwise you wouldn't go to such lengths to "prove" the 360 is better. Not only that, but you suck at "proving" the 360 is better in the first place.

So sad.
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I don't know... I just don't see how the PS3 is going to make it this round. There are just way too many things that suck about it. Price, upgradability (that's a no no for conso'), and all the other crap that I've forgotten about.. Plus the bad image it's been baking since E3.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Wait a minute, the 360 is too expensive for something that is nothing more than a computer--, it isn't upgradeable like a computer, and to top it all off, it has lost in Japan already and has no good games (+ shit for mip mapping). I don't see how 360 could make it, regardless of PS3's standings.

The same argument holds true for 360.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

The ability to upgrade destroys the whole purpose of a console. What do you think the developers will do? Write software that utilizes expensive upgrades that not everyone will have, or just the core package (rendering the upgrades useless)?
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

JS Lemming wrote:I don't know... I just don't see how the PS3 is going to make it this round. There are just way too many things that suck about it. Price, upgradability (that's a no no for conso'), and all the other crap that I've forgotten about.. Plus the bad image it's been baking since E3.
Uh...the only thing that's upgradable is the Harddrive, and what's bad about that? What's bad about upgradability period? That is far from a bad point--it extends the life of the console significantly.

I agree they've done some bad PR stuff, it is quite expensive, but the games are good. The image is anything but bad--Sony maintains its status despite its bad PR moves.
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Last I heard, it wasn't just the harddrive. But it's been a while. It could easily have been a rumor.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

JS Lemming wrote:Last I heard, it wasn't just the harddrive. But it's been a while. It could easily have been a rumor.
That's the only thing I know of that you could upgrade. The Cells are morbidly expensive, the RAM isn't a necessity in upgradability, and the GPU is proprietary.
There is no signature.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

I'm positive that PS3 will sell well (aren't we all?), because, as DJ Yoshi said, the games are good. Sony's pulled some amazing shit off before. I can see the PS3 working, no matter how bad Nintendo might outsell them.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

spideyspiderman2000 wrote:I'm positive that PS3 will sell well (aren't we all?), because, as DJ Yoshi said, the games are good. Sony's pulled some amazing -blam!- off before. I can see the PS3 working, no matter how bad Nintendo might outsell them.
I agree. I could see Nintendo pulling out ahead of Sony, but I really doubt there's any way that Sony will literally fail. As in, I don't see that there's a way PS3 could do worse than 360.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Exactly.

I HATE Jack Thompson!