[SOLVED]PVR Rendering Code not producing Output on Dreamcast

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: [SOLVED]PVR Rendering Code not producing Output on Dream

Post by Falco Girgis »

shmup73 wrote:I've burned like 3k CD-Rs but it's been all worth It.
Now it's time to get onto some serious DC development! 8-)
Fuuuuuck, dude. Let me give you some serious advice... As someone who developed on the DC hardware with the coder's cable for years...

If you are serious about this, you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY should invest in a DC broadband adapter. Yes, it's about a $100 investment, but it will be the best DC dev investment you ever make.

With the 100mbit BBA, it takes literally two seconds to send your executable and any binaries to the Dreamcast... In ES, I have my /pc directory set up to point to the exact same working directory as the Windows/OSX/Linux builds, and the BBA is so fast that I can literally stream textures, music, and assets to it by simply opening files like I would on the PC. it is SUCH a goddamn nice way to develop.

You can also create files in the PC directory for debug output, screenshots, and whatnot. It's so fast that your PC working directory is basically like a Dreamcast hard drive. A real dream for DC development...

...and you've already seen what kind of shit you will run into if you only develop on an emulator. Especially if you want to get any sort of serious performance or push the DC hardware to any extent, you will be coding at a low-level, and emulators often are not emulating things like that 100% accurately.
shmup73
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 2D Cross Platform Game Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation, Gameboy Advance, Dreamcast, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C, C++, C#

Re: [SOLVED]PVR Rendering Code not producing Output on Dream

Post by shmup73 »

Haha, thanks Falco!

I'm definitely aware of the advantages that a BBA would get me and am already considering buying one.
Next week i'll get an SD Adapter which i intend to test first, but as soon as my project might grow to
an extent, where i will need insta-debugging on the DC and uploading via SD takes too long i'll sure go
and get one of these motherfuckers! Don't worry ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:Yes, it's about a $100 investment, but it will be the best DC dev investment you ever make.
Actually, I gotta disappoint you concerning that point... Atleast on eBay the cheapest i can find is 140€, which should be about 190 bucks. :shock2:

Best wishes for ES, go and make that bitch the most epic game ever to be played by mankind!