Start with Java? [SOLVED]

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Brotherhood of the Raven
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Start with Java? [SOLVED]

Post by Tetriarch »

What do you guys think about starting with programming - later gamedevelopment with JAVA?
Last edited by Tetriarch on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if I am 1 and my shadow is 0? Does it still mean that we are 2?

Fractal art - DA Gallery
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Start with Java?

Post by Light-Dark »

Tetriarch wrote:What do you guys think about starting with programming - later gamedevelopment with JAVA?
Can't tell if trolling...

Anyways if you're serious about programming and serious about game development Java is definitely not the place to start and is definitely not the place you want to end up, in my opinion. Start with a scripting language (e.g lua,python) if you know nothing about programming and work your way up to languages like C/C++. Alternatively if you're looking for a challenge and have an interest in older consoles you could learn 6502 assembly and start programming games for the NES, it is there you will learn lots of useful tricks. Ultimately what route you decide to take is entirely up to you.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tetriarch »

wait a sec.... start with programming using LUA? how can scripting languagge be a starting point...jut curious....

Fractal art - DA Gallery
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

Tetriarch wrote:wait a sec.... start with programming using LUA? how can scripting languagge be a starting point...jut curious....
Because it's an easy place to start and it teaches you some basics. I started with lua, it taught me things like functions, loops, tables/classes, etc. A "scripting language" is pretty similar to a "programming language".
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tetriarch »

okay, thanks ;) i think i will take c++

Fractal art - DA Gallery
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

"Can somebody give me some advice?"
"Learn LUA"
"No. I will learn C++"

Anyway, I would too check out LUA first. You can jump right into game development with LUA using "LOVE" (link)
It is really easy to use.

If you jump right into C++, I promise you that it will take a looong time before you can actually make a game. Maybe you'd even rage quit because of frustration that's not even game development-related.
I know I almost did it a few times.
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tetriarch »

okay I think I am just pulled interested to LUA a bit... ;)

Fractal art - DA Gallery
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

There is no reason not to start with Java. 3rd party library usage is more or less drag and drop, which is very helpful for beginners, who can easily get confused by a myriad of compiler options. Also don't worry too much about performance when you're just starting out. I'm currently developing an OpenGL 3D game with libgdx, a Java game library, so I know from personal experience, that it works really well. It has many features like loading and animating rigged 3D objects, physics engine, etc.

Java is also important in the business and mobile world, so you get that for free.

If your primary goal is not to learn programming but to create a game, you should take a look at Unity though.

A side note to Lua: it's a low-level language optimized for performance. There are also more feature-rich scripting languages e.g. Python.
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tetriarch »

superLED wrote:"Can somebody give me some advice?"
"Learn LUA"
"No. I will learn C++"

Anyway, I would too check out LUA first. You can jump right into game development with LUA using "LOVE" (link)
It is really easy to use.

If you jump right into C++, I promise you that it will take a looong time before you can actually make a game. Maybe you'd even rage quit because of frustration that's not even game development-related.
I know I almost did it a few times.
I actually was programming in c++ already. "Last result of my work" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GWIIjuxKts
But I failed, I underestimated what it takess. I have lost my motivation etc I really saw myself as a looser, that will never have any succes in programming nor game developmnt...but its more than year ago. So i almost forgot what I learned. Thats why I am looking for some sort of different beginning in this matter. SO if you say that Lua can be the way to go, maybe I should try that...

Fractal art - DA Gallery
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tetriarch »

To Java I kinda like that language but I wanted to know opinion of others to avoid making of bad decision...

Fractal art - DA Gallery
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Tetriarch wrote:To Java I kinda like that language but I wanted to know opinion of others to avoid making of bad decision...
The only bad decision you can make is getting so caught in up which tool to use that you forget the overall goal: to learn game development. You need to pick something that looks adequate for the job and just dive head first into it with all you've got. When you discover further needs or better tools down the road, then you can consider picking them up. You will always be better off knowing at least a few different approaches than knowing only one "best" approach.

It is for this reason that every college Data Structures and Algorithms course introduces sorting via Bubble Sort. EVERYBODY knows Bubble Sort sucks for essentially every use-case, but when you understand why that is you are better off to make an informed decision about which alternative sorting algorithm is best to use.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tetriarch »

Well Dandy, thanks for your point, but for me true is, that I am pretty much lame, dunno maybe too stupid for programming, but still wanna try it again. I am looking for best approach for me, because I am simply afraid of bitting too big part of a cake. If y'know what I mean. Thats why I would like to take something that is fine in industry, isnt that hard to learn, and also something that can offer good results for games... yeah I mean thouse big ones, like rpg, rts, tower def, etc...i know, its to big for start.... but as the finish line dream???

But yeah you're right with the fact, that I should rather pick something and try it, or try every possible approach and then decide what seems to be good for me, right know I making decision between Unity, java, c#,c++,lua....

Fractal art - DA Gallery
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Tetriarch wrote:right know I making decision between Unity, java, c#,c++,lua....
If you want results in the form of a game, and rather quickly, Unity is probably one of the best tools there is. If you're interested in Unity, I would definitely recommend you have a go at it.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tetriarch »

Well dandy, thank you for your help ;) I will thing this through but yeah, Unity seems to be right path....

Fractal art - DA Gallery
D-e-X
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by D-e-X »

Light-Dark wrote:
Tetriarch wrote:What do you guys think about starting with programming - later gamedevelopment with JAVA?
Can't tell if trolling...

Anyways if you're serious about programming and serious about game development Java is definitely not the place to start and is definitely not the place you want to end up, in my opinion. Start with a scripting language (e.g lua,python) if you know nothing about programming and work your way up to languages like C/C++. Alternatively if you're looking for a challenge and have an interest in older consoles you could learn 6502 assembly and start programming games for the NES, it is there you will learn lots of useful tricks. Ultimately what route you decide to take is entirely up to you.
So, this is one of the more idiotic replies that I've seen lately. Just initially, Java is an excellent place to start as far as programming and game development goes.. I mean, there's a reason so many unis use Java as an introductory language. The funny thing is also that this is about *STARTING* doing something, he's not developing AAA titles, Java will suffice PLENTY, so don't give us that "if you're serious about the industry, you have to choose the one and only holy standard path which includes 'this and that', 'cause that's what some other guy on the internet said was best!"

Also, the completely astounding thing about your reply is that you'd tell someone to start with a scripting language to build their foundation up to eventually progress onto C/++, and then you're suddenly talking about challenges and how he could learn 6502 assembly and start developing games for an old ass console if he's interested. You see what I mean? Kind of tough to take you seriously.

Languages are just tools, for the purpose of learning to program and getting into game development, Java is a completely okay starting point. If you don't like it, there's a bunch of other tools to choose from that might suit you better, it's important that you just *START* instead of obsessing about what is the most "optimal starting point", because in truth, only you can figure that out. Objectively tools just perform better or worse at different things or offer functionality different from another, but as far as starting point goes and general purpose, it's completely negligible what you choose.. just pick something, and have a go at it!

.. And like what's already been mentioned, there ARE tools you can use to get into making games if that's your only goal.
I remember when I used to be into nostalgia.