c++11 features

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

c++11 features

Post by bbguimaraes »

I just found this very useful presentation on the new features in c++11. Sadly, I'm very far from using c++ on anything lately (work + dissertation =), so I thought I'd ask you guys: are you using these features? If you're not, I'd be interested in knowing why (compiler support, backward compatibility, etc).
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Re: c++11 features

Post by short »

My previous internship I spent a month so I could update the compiler from gcc3 to the latest gcc (and clang) release so we could start experimenting with new c++11 features. Let me just say it, worth it! The code is much more succinct, and much better at expressing the programmer's intent.

That said my new job is using c++98 and I'm making it a personal goal to update as soon as possible. That said I expect it to take a while before I understand the ecosystem well enough to begin doing this.

I'd be curious to see if the dreamcast could be compiled with gcc's newest release.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

The main reason why I haven't experimented with it yet is that I just haven't gotten a chance to update my compilers and toolchains.
short wrote:I'd be curious to see if the dreamcast could be compiled with gcc's newest release.
I have never actually built GCC by myself, but I have heard we can use up to GCC 4.7 on the DC currently... and after a little poking around, it looks like this has most of C++11.

I would very much like to start dabbling, though.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

Falco Girgis wrote:The main reason why I haven't experimented with it yet is that I just haven't gotten a chance to update my compilers and toolchains.
short wrote:I'd be curious to see if the dreamcast could be compiled with gcc's newest release.
I have never actually built GCC by myself, but I have heard we can use up to GCC 4.7 on the DC currently... and after a little poking around, it looks like this has most of C++11.

I would very much like to start dabbling, though.
GCC 4.7 has virtually all of the features even a proficient programmer would use from C++11, aside from the new concurrency stuff. GCC 4.8.1 is feature-complete. You also need a newer version of libstdc++ to get the revisions to STL, which are quite nice.