[Help] Advices for SDL Programming

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

heisenberg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

[Help] Advices for SDL Programming

Post by heisenberg »

Hi everyone,

I started learning SDL library (few weeks for now :| ) and i feel like i'm just copying source codes, i read "Focus On SDL" book and i wanted to make the Framework given in it or maybe a clone but i'm just copying it. I don't know if it's a good method to learn, but i feel like i'm learning s**t :lol:

So please, can you give me some advices on the methodology and how can i improve my SDL programming skills ?

Thank you in advance.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: [Help] Advices for SDL Programming

Post by dandymcgee »

Use it more. The same way you learn anything. The more experience you have in a given domain (SDL), the better you will be at solving problems in the context of that domain.

Come up with a project you think would be both fun and obtainable within a reasonably short amount of time. Then jump right in and start writing it, researching as necessary when you get stuck along the way.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Tim Wilson
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C++ & Python

Post by Tim Wilson »

As said above, make things. Start working on a project, and every time you run into a problem, or don't understand how something is working, figure it out by looking around online, in books, etc.

Good luck with SDL!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sounds like you need a good dose of creativity in your development...

Focus on SDL is a tiny book that really only covers the basics. If you plan to create something requiring more than the most basic functionality of SDL, you really will have to apply the basic knowledge from the book and go out on your own. You can't really copy + paste at that point.

Don't make tech demos. Don't aspire to move sprites around the screen. Try making an actual little game that will require you to write your own code and grasp the concepts you have read about.
heisenberg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by heisenberg »

Thank you to everyone, i'm trying this days to code a little Sudoku game.
Falco Girgis wrote:Sounds like you need a good dose of creativity in your development...
maybe it's true :lol: because i don't really know how to structure things, and how to implement functions, so let's stop talking and go back to work like i said i'm working on a Sudoku game and i want to write a Framework.

Thank you again for your answer.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Is it bad that when I saw your username, I immediately thought of meth-dealing Walter White from Breaking Bad, not the scientist? :mrgreen:
heisenberg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by heisenberg »

Acctualy! I thought about the scientist but when i was searching for an avatar i got as result the meth-dealer White Walter. :mrgreen: But i took the scientist's picture, i think it's better. :p