Audio Streaming

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

codeblue9955
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Audio Streaming

Post by codeblue9955 »

I would like to capture the audio that is currently being played on my pc in order to be able to stream it to other devices such as a PS3, xbox, android, etc. I have no idea how I might go about capturing this sound. I don't know of a simple way to do it. I have thought of perhaps setting up a virtual soundcard to play through, but I'm not sure if this is the best method. Hopefully you guys can enlighten me on this idea. :mrgreen:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Audio Streaming

Post by dandymcgee »

codeblue9955 wrote:I have thought of perhaps setting up a virtual soundcard to play through, but I'm not sure if this is the best method.
That's the best way I've yet found. I used a virtual sound card in the past to to play music through my laptop's internal speakers and external speakers at the same time. Good luck finding a decent one that doesn't cost a shit ton of money though. I'm also interested in possible alternatives.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

You must specify to us the OS you are using here. May the good lord bless you should you decide to slog through the muddy swamp that is the Linux sound device.

Windows?
See here 007: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
codeblue9955
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by codeblue9955 »

I'm running windows on my PC. I mainly program in Java, and I have looked into the audiod package, but it seems to lack documentation in order to make it to where it wouldn't be a pain in the ass to implement. I've got a feeling I'll probably have to do this in C++, but I don't think it will be very easy. The idea behind this is to create a general package that can handle streams such as spotify, iheartradio, and pandora to stream them via DLNA servers or the like. I am also thinking that it would be cool to implement it to where you can pick up the audio stream coming from videos. This sound could then be picked up on iOS or android devices. Everyone could then control their own volume (I wouldn't be surprised if there is a home theater system that implements such functionality). Any ideas you guys offer are appreciated!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Why do this over downloading the mobile Pandora app (or w/e other service) which surely optimized to conserve bandwidth? A just-for-fun learning experience?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
codeblue9955
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by codeblue9955 »

I'm looking for a general solution for capturing anything you can play on the PC. There are a lot of specific solutions that involve Playstation Media Server and similar technology, but I feel this will enable the headache of having to capture different streams for different services.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

codeblue9955 wrote:I'm looking for a general solution for capturing anything you can play on the PC. There are a lot of specific solutions that involve Playstation Media Server and similar technology, but I feel this will enable the headache of having to capture different streams for different services.
Then you are definitely going to be wanting to use a solution at the driver layer, not the application layer.