Dreamcast - Kos Makefiles

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Dreamcast - Kos Makefiles

Post by lalacomun »

So, i just decided to start deving for the DC, i have Kos & Cygwin installed :) so i decided to port some simple SDL games i made, but since i dont have much experience with makefiles (Thanks fu***g microsoft :x ) i really cant complile any of my games, so anyone can help me with the Kos makefiles please!

And if anyone wants to start deving for the DC you MUST download this, it contains everything you need to start deving, it also contains tons of examples for you to learn!

http://dchelp.dcemulation.org/downloads/DDEr4.rar

and here if you want to use SDL for the DC this will be very usefull:

http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/sdl.html
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Dreamcast - Kos Makefiles

Post by Falco Girgis »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dreamcast development, friend!

You haven't really given any specific details that allow us to help you, though.

If I were you, I would find the SDL example in kos or kos-ports. Look at its makefile and simple substitute your .o files in its "OBJS=" list.
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard

Post by lalacomun »

Yes, thats what im doing right now! I just compile some sdl examples,but im having problems with the emulator, and yes, i use an emulator because i dont have a Coders cable, and i cant find one anywhere!! :cry: im going to start learning the PVR API now :)
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard

Post by lalacomun »

Ok, im having a problem with the damm emulator,i have both the .elf and .bin, but to test them on to the emulator i neeed a .cdi file, i tries using binToCdi but its for 32 bit win, i tried on a virtual machine but it didnt worked! there is a guy that created a batch that conveerts from .elf to .cdi, but its uploaded on Megaupload :evil: :evil:
so i cant test my program!! any solution??
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

lalacomun wrote:Ok, im having a problem with the damm emulator,i have both the .elf and .bin, but to test them on to the emulator i neeed a .cdi file, i tries using binToCdi but its for 32 bit win, i tried on a virtual machine but it didnt worked! there is a guy that created a batch that conveerts from .elf to .cdi, but its uploaded on Megaupload :evil: :evil:
so i cant test my program!! any solution??
I have never tested on an emulator before, because I have always had the actual hardware, but I am pretty goddamn sure there are emulators out there that can load raw bin files. I would ask over at http://dcemulation.org.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I initially started trying to test on an emulator. I do not condone this method. The DC emulators hardly work, and when they do, they don't work well. You're better off just burning your image to a CD and booting it up. Just buy one of those cheap packs of 100 CD-Rs for like 20 bucks.
Tvspelsfreak
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

I'm not sure if you can still buy a coder's cable anywhere, but those are ok for small stuff. I heard the SD card reader is pretty good as well.

Nothing even comes close to using a BBA though. I highly recommend investing in one if you're planning on doing some serious DC devving.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Tvspelsfreak wrote:I'm not sure if you can still buy a coder's cable anywhere, but those are ok for small stuff. I heard the SD card reader is pretty good as well.

Nothing even comes close to using a BBA though. I highly recommend investing in one if you're planning on doing some serious DC devving.
I first planned on making a coders cable, then I found about the SD card reader but never got around to investing in one. I've been thinking quite a bit about trying to find a BBA. You can find them on ebay still last I checked. Pricey as hell, but I think it would be worth it.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

You can always find BBAs. I have never not been able to find one... It's just a matter of finding one for a price you are willing to pay.

But as Tvspels said, if you are serious about Dreamcast development, it is THE development method.
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard

Post by lalacomun »

Yes, i think im gonna buy an SD adapter for the DC, i cant afford a BBA right now :| , but i really want to test my games on the DC so i think the SD adapter is my best choise :)