Windows 7 games programming

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

IT_tech81
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Windows 7 games programming

Post by IT_tech81 »

Hi all I currently have Windows 7. I am just confused with state of windows games programming on a whole. Which version of DirectX should I be looking at learning and does the Win32 Api still exist.

I havnt touched programming for a while now but have changed job and have loads more free time now.

Thanks
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Windows 7 games programming

Post by dandymcgee »

IT_tech81 wrote:Hi all I currently have Windows 7. I am just confused with state of windows games programming on a whole. Which version of DirectX should I be looking at learning and does the Win32 Api still exist.

I havnt touched programming for a while now but have changed job and have loads more free time now.

Thanks
Yes, the Win32 API most definitely still exists. DirectX 11 is the latest version of DX, so I would recommend focusing on that if your hardware supports it. Grats on more free time, wish I could say the same for myself. Welcome to the forums.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
IT_tech81
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by IT_tech81 »

dandymcgee wrote:Yes, the Win32 API most definitely still exists. DirectX 11 is the latest version of DX, so I would recommend focusing on that if your hardware supports it. Grats on more free time, wish I could say the same for myself. Welcome to the forums.
Thanks for the reply. I have had a look for the Direct 11 SDK. However I can only see the WIndows 8.0 SDK. Now it does state that it works on WIndows 7, however I cannot afford Visual STudio at the minute. Will it work on VC++ express. If so which version 2010 or 2012?

I got a pretty upto date laptop, so should be fine.
Aspirer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Aspirer »

According to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4257&start=30

You won't need the commercial version of VS. These guys know what they're talking about. Paraphrasing: unless you're a commercial software dev you won't need the commercial version of VC, as express has everything you need.
"We got more information out of a German general with a game of chess or Ping-Pong than they do today, with their torture" --Henry Kolm
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Aspirer wrote:According to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4257&start=30

You won't need the commercial version of VS. These guys know what they're talking about. Paraphrasing: unless you're a commercial software dev you won't need the commercial version of VC, as express has everything you need.
That's correct. You can make anything your heart desires in the Express version. VS2010 or VS2012 should both be fine.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
IT_tech81
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by IT_tech81 »

Thanks for that guys. It has been most helpful.