Nokia just sold Qt to Digia!

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Nokia just sold Qt to Digia!

Post by Falco Girgis »

Well, its official. Nokia has nothing good going for it anymore. I'm a little shocked. ;)

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/55778.php?source=rss
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Re: Nokia just sold Qt to Digia!

Post by bbguimaraes »

OMG. I just hope Digia continues Nokia'a excelent job on Qt. Anyone knows why it happended?

[...] and is committed to continuing the Qt Project in order to maintain Qt's availability under both open source and commercial licenses.
:worship:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

I would think that the main reason here is that Nokia is going a different direction w/ their smart phones. They were using it as an internal launch platform for their Symbian OS based phones. Since their focus is now w/ windows mobile, they no longer have any particular interest in being the primary caretakers of the project. IE: The maintenance costs exceed any benefit they'll have from it internally.

They dropped Symbian a month before hocking the commercial licensing off to Digia.
Skomakar'n
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Skomakar'n »

Poor Qt keeps getting thrown around like a mitten. I found it great under Nokia's command, though, so let's hope these guys won't ruin it.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Skomakar'n wrote:Poor Qt keeps getting thrown around like a mitten. I found it great under Nokia's command, though, so let's hope these guys won't ruin it.
I had a hell of a time trying to download it the other day. I may just be completely incompetent but everything I clicked on wanted me to buy a license. I couldn't figure it out.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:I had a hell of a time trying to download it the other day. I may just be completely incompetent but everything I clicked on wanted me to buy a license. I couldn't figure it out.
Tell me about it. I went through the same thing last week. I finally found a download link and then it said "debugger not found". I had to install the debugger and make as separate binaries or something. The whole thing is just a giant reesting pain in ballsack since it left Nokia.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: