Network Socket Programming Encryption

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Aspirer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Network Socket Programming Encryption

Post by Aspirer »

I just have a question: when you use network sockets, and send a message over the internet, is it in readable form? IE. can anyone who the packets pass by just read the contents? Man I would hate to have to code encryption, that is perhaps the most boring thing ever.

Also how dangerous is it to be messing around with network programming without some kind of security training?
"We got more information out of a German general with a game of chess or Ping-Pong than they do today, with their torture" --Henry Kolm
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Network Socket Programming Encryption

Post by dandymcgee »

Aspirer wrote:I just have a question: when you use network sockets, and send a message over the internet, is it in readable form? IE. can anyone who the packets pass by just read the contents?
Yes. The best way to secure your data is to send the packets over an encrypted connection such as SSL/TSL (ie. HTTPS), an SSH tunnel, or something similar. The alternative being encrypting any sensitive data before it gets sent into the pipe.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Aspirer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Aspirer »

How would one do that?
"We got more information out of a German general with a game of chess or Ping-Pong than they do today, with their torture" --Henry Kolm
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Aspirer wrote:How would one do that?
:google:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Aspirer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Aspirer »

D'oh!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Aspirer wrote:D'oh!
Feel free to post back if you have any specific questions. 8-)