Book recommendations ?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Book recommendations ?

Post by mattheweston »

I'm looking for books to add to my reading list and was actually leaning toward design patterns and algorithms. Any recommendations? Would it be worth while to look at anything specific to game development ?
Skomakar'n
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Book recommendations ?

Post by Skomakar'n »

If it interests you, the OpenGL bible (the red book) and it's companion for GLSL (the orange book) are a fine pair of books. They're called OpenGL Programming Guide and OpenGL Shading Language, respectively, and also have a note of the edition below the main title. Mine are seventh edition and third edition, respectively, for example. These are massive books. The box looks very pretty on the shelf too.

Another interesting read in this picture is iPhone SDK Programming, written by Maher Ali. It assumes previous knowledge of C, but not Objective-C, and the first two or three chapters provide a crash course into this new language, and then it goes on to show you how to deal with the many concepts of the device and the operative system. It has been of great use to me.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Skomakar'n wrote:If it interests you, the OpenGL bible (the red book) and it's companion for GLSL (the orange book) are a fine pair of books.
I found a version of the red book in a pile of free books at school.
It's a great book, but my favorite part is definitely the massive poster in the back that graphs out the entire OpenGL graphics pipeline.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Skomakar'n
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Skomakar'n »

dandymcgee wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:If it interests you, the OpenGL bible (the red book) and it's companion for GLSL (the orange book) are a fine pair of books.
I found a version of the red book in a pile of free books at school.
It's a great book, but my favorite part is definitely the massive poster in the back that graphs out the entire OpenGL graphics pipeline.
Oh, yeah. That, too. I forgot about it. I should put it on my wall behind the monitors or something. There's lot of empty space there right now. I want a periodic table too, though, but I can put that on the right wall. Most of all, though, I want a little whiteboard...
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

I find that most of the people aren't aware that an early version of the Red Book is available online:

http://www.glprogramming.com/red/

It's probably a little old, but it's ok if you're short on resources (as we always are). You can even download a zip with all the html and image files.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

bbguimaraes wrote:I find that most of the people aren't aware that an early version of the Red Book is available online:

http://www.glprogramming.com/red/

It's probably a little old, but it's ok if you're short on resources (as we always are). You can even download a zip with all the html and image files.
Ah, good link. Goes hand-in-hand with http://www.glprogramming.com/blue/. 8-)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

mattheweston wrote:I'm looking for books to add to my reading list and was actually leaning toward design patterns and algorithms. Any recommendations? Would it be worth while to look at anything specific to game development ?
If you're interested in learning algorithms, Introduction to Algorithms is a good book.

And of course, there's The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.