Trying to think of ways to make levels dynamic...

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Trying to think of ways to make levels dynamic...

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm trying to think of methods of making/loading levels dynamic. Maybe I'm not even wording this right, but I'll explain what I was thinking. Maybe you guys could contribute ideas.

Here's a level directory layout:
Level Directory wrote: GFX (folder)
Level.lvl
Level.tls
Level.map
Level.whatever_else_is_needed
The .lvl file will have the general information. The .lvl will have the level's name and stuff. It'll have the location of the next level (so that the creator of the level can link them together and ultimately create their own game by linking levels together).

The .lvl will also state whether there will be any external or custom graphics used and any other general information that I'll surely think up later.

If the .lvl shows that there will be custom graphics used, the graphics are listen in the .tls (tiles) file. The .tls just basically stores the locations and names of the GFX (which is all in the respective GFX directory).

The .map file is obvious. It is required. It stores the level data for the created level.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sorry to spam you guys with two posts, but I didn't see that it'd be very practical to split that post up to include all this crap.

Do you guys have any more ideas?

I want Null to be a full game in its own respect, but completely moddable enough to get people to create their own games based on the Null engine.

They can create their own levels and use their own implemented GFX. Then, their levels they create can be linked together so it's like playing through a full game.

Look at this, I'm so motivated to work on Null now, but it's only first block at school. Now when I get home I'll be dead tired and not feel like even looking at my code. It's sad, it really is. If I got to work on Null when I felt motivated (mostly earlier in the morning), I'd probably be almost done with it by now. It's the fact that the only times I get to work on it are when I'm just getting home from school and I have absolutely no will to do anything regarding work or thinking....
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

My question is, why do you need 50 different files for one level? Most of which contain the locations of the important files. Say someone changes the name of a graphics file, everything will then be screwed. I would suggest packing everything into one file, graphics and all.

I'm not quite sure how the "linking" of the levels is going to work. Will there be but one exit in every level that when exited next level you start at is the linked one?
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:I'm not quite sure how the "linking" of the levels is going to work. Will there be but one exit in every level that when exited next level you start at is the linked one?
Yes, so ultimately when you create a good 10 levels, it'll be like a complete game.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

GyroVorbis wrote:
JS Lemming wrote:I'm not quite sure how the "linking" of the levels is going to work. Will there be but one exit in every level that when exited next level you start at is the linked one?
Yes, so ultimately when you create a good 10 levels, it'll be like a complete game.
But won't having just one exit get boring? (as in no secret doors or something)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
But won't having just one exit get boring? (as in no secret doors or something)
w00t! Go JSL. I hadn't even thought of secret exits. That sounds great. I'll make certain exits bring you to certain levels and others take you to other levels.

Also, they can make their own boss stages so that they REALLY do have a game created. It'll be tough though, because it's not like you can completely make a new boss other than the ones in Null, but I might be able to add a few extras and the more creative ones can make combinations of enemies (sorta like kirby mini-bosses).

As for all of the external .txt files, it's not like you'd be editting them. In theory, the level editter will do that all for you. But yeah, that is an assload of files. I'll see if I can reduce them some how.

But do you see what the point is here? I want to make Null like the BOR of 2D platformers. A game in its own right, but also completely moddable so that it catches people's attention and gets a nice group of "Null Modders".

Or at least that's what I'm attempting...
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Yeah, I was considering makeing a super modable 2D platerformer as well (was going to be called like Mario Creation) but I wasn't sure I wanted to do it with Mario.

My suggestion for linking to other levels is: In the level editor, alow a user to place a door tile/event. When they place the tile, open a seletion box showing all levels made by the user. When the user picks a level, that level is opened up in a small box. The user may then click a tile where they want the door to warp them. Then the box closes and the x, y, and level file name is stored in the original level file.