The Behavior System (another link)

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Mattonaise
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, iOS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

The Behavior System (another link)

Post by Mattonaise »

I wanted to share this link I found a while back. It's about a behavior system for entities.
http://www.rivermanmedia.com/programmin ... ior-system
It's kind of a hybrid between an inheritance tree and a pure compnent based system for creating game entities. From the link:
"Behaviors are small objects that add functionality to a parent object. The parent has a reference to the behavior, and the behavior has a reference to the parent, set when the behavior is initialized. The behavior manipulates the data of it's parent object to produce a desired set of functionality. The real strength behind behaviors is that they allow totally different objects to share the same capabilities....If you are familiar with component-based designs, Behaviors could be considered a hybrid between a "pure component" system and a typical class hierarchy. Unlike a pure component system, Behaviors supplement a traditional class hierarchy (rather than replacing it), giving you the full freedom to use "components" AND inheritance to generate objects in your game."
I wanted to share this link with you guys, and ask if you use anything like this in your code.