How do I find the computer with this address?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

How do I find the computer with this address?

Post by Falco Girgis »

Hey guys, today I tried to access a restricted site. Instead of getting the error I normally do, I got this message:
T3h blocker script wrote:ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://129.66.45.14:81/cgi/block.cgi?

The following error was encountered:

Access Denied.
Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is root.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generated Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:22:34 GMT by csor3sqd04 (squid/2.5.STABLE5-20040617)
That's actually very useful. Look at that URL, it's on the network at school. More importantly, look at the file. Their blocking script is a perl CGI!

Now, I got this message because that script was either not working, or wasn't there.

My school has TERRIBLE security. I can litterally access my teacher's files and change fellow student's permissions.

I want to connect to this address on the network: 129.66.45.14:81.

How do I do that? I tried a mere network search, but it didn't work.

Also, I'm really happy about this. First off, I don't think anybody at this school knows a thing about perl. I think it's dynamically generated by some other program that let's you type in blocked sites.

What I'm attempting to do will not be using my powers for 3vil. It'll be editting that CGI so that the sites that shouldn't be blocked (like aimexpress, which just randomly got blocked today and DC emulation? That's a freaking programming site!) can be enjoyed by the respectable god-loving Americans!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I don't know what to tell you. Looks like your school is secure enough to not let you in. :mrgreen:
Last edited by JS Lemming on Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
unasmer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by unasmer »

you know GV, you can just use www.altavista.com and translate the site your trying to go to from whatever to english.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:I don't know what to tell you. Looks like your school is secure enough to not let you in. :mrgreen:
Was that some sort of Xtreme joke? I just said it was so insecure that I could edit my teachers files.

If you were being scarcastic, I'm sorry for being a retard. XD
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Well, I just thought that if you could already edit yo teacher's files, that it wouldn't be anydifferent alteringa file o'illegal addresses.... guess I was wrong. :|
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

It isn't any different. The thing is that I know that my teacher's computer goes by jrountree<room#> on the network.

I don't have a computer name for where that CGI is stored. All that I have is an IP. I need to know how to search the network for a computer with that IP instead of just a computer with that name.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

What's the problem w/ connecting to an ip address? That part after the : is a port number... if you really wanted, you could always resolve the ip to a hostname and do your usual or whatever.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.