Need to make a decision.

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

What Language should program the Metel Gear Solid Game?

C++
71%
Blitz
29%

Total votes: 7

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Need to make a decision.

Post by JS Lemming »

Blitz is fast and simple, but horribly leanient. C++ is harder, but way more structured. Can't decide.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

What ???????

I already told you to make it in c++. If you want it to be gnarled than chose blitz.
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

First off, there is no way you'd be able to make one in C++. You don't know DirectX, SDL, or anything like that. Then you have much more experience with Blitz.

You've never made a graphical game in blitz. It isn't going to be a walk in the park how you think. You'll see...

I thought you decided that you'd stick with blitz btw. Also, aren't you supposed to finish the Mario castle thing before you start on a new game?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Super Sonic wrote:First off, there is no way you'd be able to make one in C++. You don't know DirectX, SDL, or anything like that. Then you have much more experience with Blitz.

You've never made a graphical game in blitz. It isn't going to be a walk in the park how you think. You'll see...

I thought you decided that you'd stick with blitz btw. Also, aren't you supposed to finish the Mario castle thing before you start on a new game?
I hope you meant "You've never made a graphical game in blitz." as "You've never made a graphical game in c++". Though that is also somewhat wrong. I've made graphical program in SDL, as I've said before. It's not that hard "Simple Direct Media".

I'm kinda shocked that you think I couldn't make a graphical game in C++. Now I'm afraid I'll have to shove one up your.... face. :mrgreen:

As for sticking with blitz, why limit myself?

And for the Mario game. It is 97% complete. I'm working on Bowser as this moment. My goal is to finish before or durring Friday. I only posted this poll to get a heads up. So far C++ is victor.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Only 'cause blitz is for learners.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:I hope you meant "You've never made a graphical game in blitz." as "You've never made a graphical game in c++". Though that is also somewhat wrong. I've made graphical program in SDL, as I've said before. It's not that hard "Simple Direct Media".
Yeah, I did mean you've never made anything graphical in C++. :oops: lol, how embarrassing.

Okay, next, just because the name has the word "Simple" in it, doesn't mean it is going to be a peice of cake. And by the way, that has nothing to do with developing or programming SDL, it means the Directmedia layer is simple. NOT the programming of it is.

First off, what is your reasoning for wanting to do that? There is nothing you're going to do in SDL that is going to affect the game versus it being in blitz. I think you're just doing it to say "Hey, I did it in C++!".

But still, assuming that you want to be able to say that so bad, why would you switch from blitz, which you've had countless experience with to C++/SDL? Making something in C/C++ is a BILLION times harder than blitz.

Do you really want to risk what I assume you want to be your "most ambitious project yet"? You might end up with some sort of sub-par creation that you'd be ashamed of. Then there is the development time in C++. The project might start off really enthusiastic, but as time pushes on I think you'll find yourself loosing interest.

Then, there is the fact that you said: "Oh, I hate SDL, it is so slow... blah... blah <insert random complaint here>" That's hyprocritical. If you really did mean all of that, why'd you wanna switch?

Okay, there are the downs. But by all means, go right on ahead. When you don't complete your project or switch back to Blitz I'm not even going to say that I told you so. I know it'll happen like I know Michael Jackson will marry George W. Bush.

Indeed. :spin:
Last edited by Falco Girgis on Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Js Lemming wrote:I'm kinda shocked that you think I couldn't make a graphical game in C++. Now I'm afraid I'll have to shove one up your.... face. :Mr. Green:
Actually, that's not what I meant at all. I, myself, have started a C/C++ game (the dreamcast one, duh) and haven't even come near completing it. Look at all of the countless games and minigames you've completed before I could do one.

I meant that by I don't think it'd be worth the effort for you, who has no intention of ever even getting into a carreer of programming or game development. I don't recommend C/C++ for anything graphical to anybody unless they want to do something with it for a carreer or something.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

First off, what is your reasoning for wanting to do that? There is nothing you're going to do in SDL that is going to affect the game versus it being in blitz. I think you're just doing it to say "Hey, I did it in C++!".
My reasoning, C++ is 100,000,000 times more organized then Blitz. C++ has so many more useful features then Blitz.
But still, assuming that you want to be able to say that so bad, why would you switch from blitz, which you've had countless experience with to C++/SDL? Making something in C/C++ is a BILLION times harder than blitz.
For one thing, I don't do things to say "Hey everbody look, I'm neato!". Who do you think I am? Duh, C++ is harder then Blitz, Blitz is BASIC.
Do you really want to risk what I assume you want to be your "most ambitious project yet"? You might end up with some sort of sub-par creation that you'd be ashamed of. Then there is the development time in C++. The project might start off really enthusiastic, but as time pushes on I think you'll find yourself loosing interest.
You never know how a project will go, but the language has no effect, I know C++.
Then, there is the fact that you said: "Oh, I hate SDL, it is so slow... blah... blah <insert random complaint here>" That's hyprocritical. If you really did mean all of that, why'd you wanna switch?
That was a long time ago. Aren't people aloud to change their minds?
Okay, there are the downs. But by all means, go right on ahead. When you don't complete your project or switch back to Blitz I'm not even going to say that I told you so. I know it'll happen like I know Michael Jackson will marry George W. Bush.
I'm begining to care less about what you think.
I meant that by I don't think it'd be worth the effort for you, who has no intention of ever even getting into a carreer of programming or game development. I don't recommend C/C++ for anything graphical to anybody unless they want to do something with it for a carreer or something.
Who said I didn't want a carrer that involved programming. Game making in't the only use for programming you know.

Why would you discourage a fellow programmer?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Need to make a decision.

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:
My reasoning, C++ is 100,000,000 times more organized then Blitz. C++ has so many more useful features then Blitz.
I guess C++ is more organized than blitz. What kind of useful feature are you talking about that C++ has that blitz lacks?
JS Lemming wrote:
For one thing, I don't do things to say "Hey everbody look, I'm neato!". Who do you think I am? Duh, C++ is harder then Blitz, Blitz is BASIC.
Yeah, you're right on that. I know you wouldn't do that. My bad.
JS Lemming wrote:
You never know how a project will go, but the language has no effect, I know C++.
Yes, you never do know how a project will go. But also, you're WRONG. Language has every affect. What isn't affected by language? How can you say that it has no affect? Yes, you know C++ very well too. You aren't an SDL guru though. You're forgetting that factor. Do you even have a book or resource that would allow you to learn it? C++ isn't the whole point. SDL is a huge part of it.
JS Lemming wrote:
That was a long time ago. Aren't people aloud to change their minds?
Of course people can change their minds. But all that I'm seeing that makes you want to change your mind is that it is "better organized". There is still nothing wrong with that, I just think that it'd be a better idea to go with Blitz.
JS Lemming wrote:
I'm begining to care less about what you think.
Neat.
JS Lemming wrote:
Who said I didn't want a carrer that involved programming. Game making in't the only use for programming you know.
I took the liberty of bolding something for you. Did I say that game making was the only use for programming? Well, you want to get into programming as a career, then cool. Maybe you should go on to C++ (later). I don't even see how you get that I implied game making was the only use for programming. Whatever. :mrgreen:
JS Lemming wrote: Why would you discourage a fellow programmer?
Is that what you think this is about? Me discouraging you? Why would I do that? You are the better game developer (and perhaps even programmer) anyday. Do you think that I'm too egotistical to say that? Or do you think this is because I make crap in C++ and I'm discouraging you so that I feel better about my programming inabilites compared to you? Nope. I don't care. I just think its pointless. No big deal. And please, by all means "Show my face up".
Last edited by Falco Girgis on Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

What kind of useful feature are you talking about that C++ has that blitz lacks?
Mainly pointers and special data structures.
Yes, you never do know how a project will go. But also, you're WRONG. Language has every affect. What isn't affected by language? How can you say that it has no affect? Yes, you know C++ very well too. You aren't an SDL guru though. You're forgetting that factor. Do you even have a book or resource that would allow you to learn it? C++ isn't the whole point. SDL is a huge part of it.
Yeah I agree that language is a huge part of it, but I meant that I knew both so it wasn't like I had to learn a hole new language.
I took the liberty of bolding something for you. Did I say that game making was the only use for programming?
Yeah sorry about that, I misread (NOT SKIMMED) that sentence.

Well, you want to get into programming as a career, then cool. Maybe you should go on to C++ (later).
My biggest question about this debate is Why later? I just don't see why you want me do program in C++ later.
You are the better game developer (and perhaps even programmer) anyday.
No way, your games are koo too.
Do you think that I'm too egotistical to say that?
Too lazy to look up egotistical, but what I learned from Latin is that it has something to do with "I". :mrgreen:
Or do you think this is because I make crap in C++ and I'm discouraging you so that I feel better about my programming inabilites compared to you?
Of course not, that would be childish. It just seems like your so negative about me with C++.
And please, by all means "Show my face up".
No thanks.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:
What kind of useful feature are you talking about that C++ has that blitz lacks?
Mainly pointers and special data structures.
Yeah I agree that language is a huge part of it, but I meant that I knew both so it wasn't like I had to learn a hole new language.
I took the liberty of bolding something for you. Did I say that game making was the only use for programming?
Yeah sorry about that, I misread (NOT SKIMMED) that sentence.

Well, you want to get into programming as a career, then cool. Maybe you should go on to C++ (later).
My biggest question about this debate is Why later? I just don't see why you want me do program in C++ later.
You are the better game developer (and perhaps even programmer) anyday.
No way, your games are koo too.
Do you think that I'm too egotistical to say that?
Too lazy to look up egotistical, but what I learned from Latin is that it has something to do with "I". :mrgreen:
Or do you think this is because I make crap in C++ and I'm discouraging you so that I feel better about my programming inabilites compared to you?
Of course not, that would be childish. It just seems like your so negative about me with C++.
And please, by all means "Show my face up".
No thanks.
Oh JS Lemming, you're one of my best friends. Sorry to be such a prick. I think you're right now. You know what, if you got into C++, then like, we could be a team!

You and I never did anything because I never got into blitz. But if you started doing stuff with C++, we could finally create... dun dun dun... NESTIX CHAOTIX!

God, I'm such an asshole. :cry:
Thank you for openning my eyes and showing me what a prick I am.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Need to make a decision.

Post by JS Lemming »

God, I'm such an asshole.
Thank you for openning my eyes and showing me what a prick I am.
Nah, you weren't that big of a jerk, but thanks anyway. :mrgreen:
Last edited by JS Lemming on Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm glad you've decided to join the dark side. A couple of things I'd like to say:

1) DONT YOU DARE turn DirectX on me. We aren't windows whores here.

Let's both be SDL brethren together. If you decide to do Orthro-whatever projection, then hey, good luck. There is nothing wrong with that. I've already gotten started on SDL so I can't join you if that is what you choose to take.

By the way. I have 2 of the same type of SDL book. I just might err... mail one to you and Phantom...

A present, from an asshole.
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

cool thanks, :shock: :D how did i miss this conversation??? :evil:
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Kidneys.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.