PC Build Advice

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

PC Build Advice

Postby mattheweston on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Editing this into something worded a little better.
Original post
I am looking into getting a new pc and the thought crossed my mind as I noticed a 10 core cpu as an option - what is the max number of cores that modern software utilizes?

I'm looking into either building or purchasing a new PC with the following uses in mind:

Game Dev in 3D and 2D
Working with Unreal Engine and/or Unity 3D
Possibly working with modeling tools like Blender, etc

I'd like to also setup multiple VMs to code/test with in other environments besides my base environment (Win 10 or Win 7) so, probably a Mac and Linux VM.

In addition to this I'll probably be playing some more modern games like Star Wars Battlefront as well.

My thoughts were

Intel i7 - 7700k
16-32 GB Ram
1 TB SSD (may consider a combo solution with an SSD for boot and regular HDD for storage)
NVIDIA video card mid with at least 4-8 GB of Video Ram

Any suggestions?
Last edited by mattheweston on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: How many cores are in use with modern software?

Postby dandymcgee on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 pm

mattheweston wrote:I am looking into getting a new pc and the thought crossed my mind as I noticed a 10 core cpu as an option - what is the max number of cores that modern software utilizes?

Based on nothing other than intuition, I would say 2-4 is probably average. That said, if you're running more than 1 process at time (you are), the OS can offload work onto the cores. The more important part is whether those are "real" cores or "hyper-threaded" cores, or some other similar pseudo-virtualization stuff. You should also pay special attention to the power consumption / heat dissipation requirements. There are a lot of things that affect CPU performance aside from # of cores, so definitely check out some benchmark charts (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/) for real performance numbers. Pay attention to the cache sizes on the spec sheet as well (L1, L2, L3, etc.).
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Return to Programming Discussion